Saturday, June 1, 2019



GUEST BLOGGER
Meet another one of my writer friends, Carole Sparks, that has a heart for the Lord and enjoys writing about nature, like me. She also writes about other godly topics on her blog, Not About Me.
Please enjoy her words below, then click on her link at the bottom to go to her site and find other posts that I know you'll be interested in reading. 




Consider the Mountain Trail
by Carole Sparks




We went hiking in a nearby state park over Spring break. I like hiking—that sense of freedom, the cleanliness of the air, the views. 


Our hike was mostly safe, if a bit steeper than I anticipated. Hiking in the mountains can be scary, though. If a storm comes suddenly, or if you lose the path, or if the mountain drops off sharply right beside the trail, you can quickly start to long for your oh-so-safe couch and the convenience of your TV remote.





We didn’t need one for our 3-mile hike, but a more strenuous hike sometimes requires that you hire a guide. No one climbs Mt. Kilimanjaro without guides and a full support team, right? 







In our lives as Christ-followers, we hike a fresh section of trail every day. We’ve never been in this exact place before, and sometimes it looks treacherous. But we have a Guide who has already been here and a God who knows everything before and behind us. 

For we do not have a high priest who is unable to empathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet he did not sin.  -Hebrews 4:15 NIV

Like it makes sense to trust your mountain guide, it’s only reasonable that we trust and follow the One Who created the mountains long before there were trails.

 For more on this idea, click over to Carole’s post, Our Mountain Guide.
(All photo credits: Carole Sparks)

 What about you? Do you like to hike, like Carole and me? What lessons have you learned from God's magnificent hills and mountains and other outdoor pathways?



BIO: 

Despite living only minutes away, Carole Sparks doesn’t spend nearly enough time in the mountains these days. Instead, she writes about the Bible, works for a non-profit, and tries to breathe as much fresh air as she can. Sometime when you aren’t out in the woods, find Carole on Twitter, Facebook, or her blog, Not About Me.




11 comments:

  1. I enjoy the scenery of the mountains and the beach. God provides wonderful creations for us to enjoy. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the mountains and the beach, Melissa. God never ceases to amaze me with his beautiful creations! His creativity is magnificent!

      Delete
  2. I grew up spending my days in the woods. Not mountainous, but sometimes treacherous. I love how you gently remind us that upon all of our trails in this life, we have a guide. God's blessings Ms. Carole and Ms. Julie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a blessing to know, J.D., that we always always have a guide! I know that I tend to forget that in the busy-ness of life and sometimes take off on my own and then "ask" God to join me..... when I should FIRST seek Him, and then follow the trail where He leads. Thanks for your faithfulness to join in on comments!

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed your post, Carole. My favorite walking paths are along Georgia mountain streams and rivers. However, I love beach walking and strolling through nature anywhere. It’s comforting to know God promises to guide us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Jeannie, I just love mountain streams! There's just something about that consistent trickle of water that reminds me that God's grace and mercy is never-ending!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the chance to share, Julie. I love those moments on a hike when I stop walking to watch a stream or stretch my eyes across a valley. And pictures never adequately convey the sense of place.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nature can teach us new life lessons every day. We just need to remember to watch and listen! Loved your post, Carole (and Julie). It seems so obvious that we recognize Jesus as our guide on our daily walk, but why does it seem so hard on some days? Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Katherine, I completely agree! My head recognizes Jesus as my daily guide, but my heart gets caught up in life and such, and it needs reminders like Carole's message!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also love to hike... well, I like to walk in the woods when it's not too steep. I always have a greater sense of God's peace when I'm walking in nature. There's something very calming about God's creation that's more difficult to find walking around my neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like hikes that are too steep, either, Joshua!! But God's beautiful creations are indeed calming, and so very fascinating to me, too! Thanks for joining the conversation!

      Delete