Monday, June 10, 2019



GUEST BLOGGER
I love meeting new friends, and when those friends are also writers, well, then that's an extra bonus. Janene Keeth is just such a friend! We met through other online writer friends, and I am thrilled to help her share info about her just-released book! 
On Bended Knee will give your prayer life a jolt of excitement and deepen your intimacy with God as you study the prayers of biblical prophets, warriors, and kings. 

Enjoy Cricket Keeth's post below that fits perfectly with my nature-themed blog, check out her website to find out how she got the nickname "Cricket," and then consider getting her new book, On Bended Knee. I know you'll enjoy it! 


Unexpected Interruptions
By Crickett Keeth

Ever have one of those days when unexpected interruptions arise?



This morning as I was turning into the church parking lot on my way to the office, I was delayed by an unexpected interruption—a family of Canadian geese crossing the driveway. There was no way I could get around them, and I obviously didn’t want to run over them. So, I patiently/impatiently waited for the entire group to cross. They didn’t move at the speed I would have preferred. I needed to get to work; I had important things to do! And here I was, stuck in the driveway waiting for these geese to cross over to what has become their feasting ground.  (It took them probably five minutes to get the entire family across the road.)

As I sat there and watched them leisurely cross over (and ignore me), I made some observations that we can apply to the body of Christ.

They weren’t in a hurry. They were enjoying the scenery and the journey. 

How often do we just slow down and enjoy what’s (who’s) around us and the journey, instead of rushing to the next thing, missing what God has for us in the moment? I was convicted.

They stayed together. No one ventured off on his own. 

There is value to community. We need each other. For them, being together was a form of protection. They looked after one another. In the same way, we need each other in the body of Christ. We were never meant to do life with a lone ranger mentality.

The older ones looked after the young ones. 

The older ones would stand in the middle of the road until every little duckling walked across. They wanted to make sure everyone was safe. If a little one started to turn around or stray off the path, the older geese would gently guide him back to the path to get him across safely.

There was no competition. 

They weren’t trying to be the first one across to the other side. They weren’t competing for who had the fastest walk or the prettiest form. They weren’t even fighting over who was to be the leader. They were focused on the family, not the individual, and worked together as a family to accomplish their goal of getting the entire group across the street.

Those unexpected interruptions in our day have a purpose.

At first, I wasn’t excited that I had to sit there and wait for these Canadian geese to cross the road. I was in a hurry to get to work, and I didn’t want to stop. But God used those five minutes of interruption and delay to slow me down, to give me time to reflect on these spiritual principles. It was a good reminder that God is at work in everything He allows to cross our path (even Canadian geese).

What are some things God has shown you through life’s unexpected interruptions? What principles would you add to my list above?



Cricket's bio:

Crickett Keeth is the Women’s Ministry Director at First Evangelical Church in Memphis, Tennessee, where she writes and teaches the women’s Bible studies. She is the author of The Gift of Rest, Sumatra with the Seven Churches (co-authored with Sandra Glahn), and her newly released study from Moody, On Bended Knee. Crickett was on staff with Cru for ten years and is a graduate of Dallas Theological Seminary. In addition to teaching regularly at her own church, she also speaks at women’s conferences and retreats. Learn more at www.crickettkeeth.com.






20 comments:

  1. I had the pleasure of meeting Crickett at BRMCWC a few years ago. I loved reading her guest post here, Julie. I also appreciated her lessons from the geese. Good Stuff!
    Blessings to both of you lovely ladies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Beckie! I hope to meet her face-to-face one day soon! I love her new book, as well as her lessons from those sweet geese!

      Delete
    2. Beckie, I loved meeting you at Blue Ridge that year! And I love following your writing and publishing journey. Glad you enjoyed the lessons from the geese!

      Delete
  2. Amen! Isn't it wonderful the ways God can "slow us down" so we might enjoy all He created for us? God's blessings and lots of prayers for your new, much-needed book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And, J.D., if we don't slow down, we miss so many of God's beautiful creations, don't we? Thanks for joining the conversation and for reading!!

      Delete
    2. Thank you, J.D. for your prayers. They are much needed!

      Delete
  3. My husband was injured about ten years ago. It made it hard for him to work on our little farm so I had to help him outside a lot more. It was an interruption from our normal routine, but it was good to be outside working hard with him. It made me realize how much he does for us. Thanks for your post! It is a good reminder for all of us to wait on the Lord. He has a lot to teach us if we watch for His interruptions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephanie, your husband's injury was definitely a huge unexpected interruption (unlike geese crossing the street). But you've been able to see the positive in it. Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  4. Wow, Stephanie, I don't think I've ever talked with you about that particular "interruption." God teaches us lessons constantly, if we're mindful enough to learn those lessons! Sometimes that's hard for me, but posts like Cricket's above and your story will hopefully help me do more of that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's funny - today I was driving back to work after an appointment and, as usual, was in a hurry, and there in front of me crossing the street was a Canadian geese family taking their time. I just smiled at them and waited. :)God is obviously teaching me in this area!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Crickett, Stephanie, J.D., and Beckie - JUST today, I went to our Smallmart - that's what everyone here in town calls our little WalMart, because the bigger one is across town - and I saw about twenty-five Canada geese trying to get across the road. Only a few were young, the rest were adults. I just smiled and thought of this post and watched as people stopped their cars to let them cross the road. I used it as a reminder to pray for you and your book, Crickett! (And I just realized something - I think I've been spelling your name with only one "t"! So sorry - that's what happens when you're married to an entomologist, I guess! Sorry about that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie, think God's trying to get something across to us? :) No worries on the 1 "t" in Crickett. Lots of people do that.

      Delete
  7. Crickett and Julie, I enjoyed this post about amazing truths illustrated during an “interruption.” As an avid “hurrier,” I just prayed that God would interrupt my day to show me truths from Him. I’m hoping for a “goose moment!” Crickett, I invited Jesus into my life during my senior year of high school after hearing a Campus Crusade for Christ speaker at my church.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeannie, I love hearing your testimony and how Cru was involved in bringing you to Christ! Those were some of my best years, and they made a huge impact in my life in college. I'd also love to hear what "goose moment" God gives you! Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  8. Jeannie, I LOVE the idea of asking God for an interruption with truths from Him!!! I'm going to have to keep this in mind and continue to look for the lessons from those interruptions, too! Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nature is always willing to teach us a lesson if we'll just pay attention. Thank you for sharing the wisdom you gleaned from the geese. They are all great points, but the one I most needed to hear is, "Those unexpected interruptions in our day have a purpose." I get so impatient with delay--I needed a reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine, the older I get, the more I impatient I am with little details, even moreso than "big" interruptions! It was a great lesson for me, too, and right after I shared this on my blog, I was halted by more than two dozen Canada geese at our small WalMart, trying to cross the street. God has unique ways of pointing out lessons to us - again and again - when folks like me need a double-dose of reminding!!!

      Delete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love those interruptions from our busy lives that remind us of what's really important. I'm forever reminding myself to slow down and practice "holy alertness." Thanks for sharing your holy moment with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOVE that phrase - holy alertness! I'm going to keep that one in mind! As I shared earlier, I really needed this lesson from Crickett, and the very day I shared it on my blog, more than two dozen Canada geese halted several of us drivers as they made their way from the parking lot of Walmart - not sure what they were shopping for - to the other side of the road where a small pond is located!!! Hahaha!

      Delete