Friday, June 14, 2019


CONSIDER THE SUNDEW
by Julie Lavender


On my walk with God today, I almost missed the sparkling red sundews beneath my feet. Growing close to the ground, unless the flowering parts shoot up from the middle, the plant is easy to miss.







I bent over for a closer look at this fascinating creation. Glistening with droplets, the sundew gives the impression that it’s holding onto water dots. However, the tiny drops are actually sticky bits of nectar that the carnivorous plant uses to attract and capture tiny insects.









Sticky leaves help trap the unsuspecting, six-legged critters, and enzymes on the leaves help “digest” the sundew’s prey.










Sounds like an old-fashioned horror flick, doesn’t it? A plant that eats bugs?







God never ceases to amaze me with his masterpieces. Such intricate detail on the sundew, with its tentacle-covered leaves, that has just the right amount of goo to glue an insect in place until it can digest and absorb the insects’ insides as nutrition.





(Personally, anything that helps rid the planet of a few more gnats and midges and mosquitoes is perfectly fine with me!)






God’s majestic wonders – like the Grand Canyon, Niagara Falls, California Redwoods, and many others – proclaim God’s glory in magnificent and spectacular fashion. But sometimes, His minute and delicate creations, like the sundew, remind me even more that He is worthy to receive glory and honor and power.





Thank you, God, for all of your creations. 
YOU ARE WORTHY.



What about you? Which one of God's creations captured your attention this week? How did that masterpiece reveal God's glory to you?


8 comments:

  1. Wonderful reminder, Julie! This is how I feel about the helicopter seeds that spiral in the wind. (Which I blogged about a few years back, of course!) God’s Creations AMAZE me. 💛❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melinda, I absolutely adore God's creations and never tire of admiring them! And, I just love those helicopter spirals, too! Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. God's design is incredible! Since childhood, I've loved watching the clouds change shape. So often, they seem to mimic emotion and are completely unpredictable. Peace and grace, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tammy, I absolutely love looking at clouds and trying to see pictures and shapes in the clouds. And, either I'm really artistic or my children aren't, because they NEVER see the pictures I see! hahaha! And because I'm not artistic at all and they are, then I've come to the conclusion that I must have a really vivid imagination!!!!!

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful post Ms. Julie. I especially appreciate that you also take time to notice and appreciate the small things God does for us. Imagine the mosquito population without sundews, and lovebugs, and other bug-eating natural wonders God created.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, those mosquitoes are the WORST and the gnats in south-Georgia rank high up there, too! I really love God's small creations (though NOTHING He created is truly 'small', but I'm speaking in size here) because it reminds me that even the little things receives such amazing attention from our heavenly father! (Wow - I think you've just helped me decide what the lesson of my next post will be, J.D. - hahahaha! Thanks for joining in on the conversation!

      Delete
  5. I enjoyed your post! The Lord is directing me to be mindful of His glory around me. Much like with the Sundew, we frantically run around missing out on God's miraculous creation. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, K.W. - I feel like I miss so much of His glory and creativity when I'm frantically trying to do this "life" in ways that He never meant for me to do! I try to remind myself often to stop and admire His creations and see what those creations teach me! Thanks for joining the conversation!

    ReplyDelete