Wednesday, May 29, 2019


Consider the blackberry
by Julie Lavender





Blackberry sightings on my walk today - a sure sign that summer is nigh! The delectable fruit offerings taste yummy, freshly washed with no additives. And add a few ingredients from the kitchen and they're even more delicious in a blackberry cobbler for dessert! 















I've always marveled at the way God chose to add prickles to the blackberry shrub. Not really thorns that stab viciously, but those small modified stem pieces certainly are an irritant when picking the small berries. 







My biologist husband informed me that the prickles are God's way of keeping critters from gobbling up the entire luscious green plant before it has the opportunity to adorn itself with flowers, then grow berry fruits - first tart green, then bitter red, and finally, succulent, black berries.







The vines feed some wildlife creatures and the berries feed even more critters that roam the forest, like the human ones that want to make jam and cobbler. 







The small prickles assure blackberry connoisseurs that the plant will continue to grow and produce berries galore. 

Doesn't God think of everything? He just amazes me every day with His creations....those masterpieces that are a wonderful reminder of His daily care for me!  


What about you? How have you seen God care for you this week? God showed me that He cares for me daily when He let every detail come together so that my family of eight - me, hubby, four adult kids, one son-in-love, and one favorite grandson - could have a special weekend together to celebrate a belated Mother's Day! 

Share with me your evidence of God's care below, please. I'd love to hear!

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful post; as always Ms. Julie. For me, it's the quiet sunrise when the only sounds in my world are the cattle lowing or a breeze blowing. God creates a peaceful world for me to enjoy a few quiet moments with Him to start my day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't imagine how beautiful it must be on your farm in the early morning, J.D.!! We visited my older son and daughter over the holiday - north Georgia and Chattanooga, TN, respectively - and the countryside is just beautiful there because of the hills and mountains. It's very flat here where I live, yet mornings are just a special time with God, no matter where I find myself in His beautiful world! Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete