Saturday, April 27, 2019


Consider the Dogwood Tree
by Julie Lavender




One of God’s springtime masterpieces, the dogwood tree, blooms gloriously around Easter each year. We had a couple of trees on our backyard property in my childhood days, and for as long as I can remember, they’ve lined the medians of several older neighborhood streets in the downtown area of my hometown.  







I spotted several trees at the edge of the forest on my walk with God this week, and I was reminded of another childhood memory: the Legend of the Dogwood tales that I heard each year about this time.







The legend, though most likely false in every detail, still holds a charm and reminds me of the sacrifice of my Savior on a piece of wood many, many years ago.






I found different versions of the poem, but the one I remember most is the one below, with an unknown author.


In Jesus’ time,
The dogwood grew
to a stately size
and a lovely hue.

‘Twas strong and firm,
Its branches interwoven,
for the cross of Christ
Its timers were chosen.

Seeing the distress
at this use of their wood,
Christ made a promise
which still holds good.

“Never again shall the dogwood grow
large enough to be used so.

Slender and twisted it shall be
with blossoms like the cross for all to see.

As blood stains the petals marked in brown,
the blossoms center wears a thorny crown.

All who see it will remember Me
crucified on a cross from the dogwood tree.

Cherished and protected, this tree shall be.
A reminder to all of my agony.”







The poet may be unknown, but one glance at a gnarled dogwood tree’s blossoms remind me that my Savior is anything but unknown because he suffered a miserable death on a wooden cross for my sins.






The four petals, shaped like a cross, are dented on the tips in the perfect shape of four nails hammered into my Savior’s sinless skin. 











Brown splotches line the rusty, nail-scarred tips, and drops of red linger in the nail spots, too.







In the middle of the dogwood flower, a golden crown of thorns rests. Atop the crown, small red berries show up seasonally, more reminders of the great drops of blood my Savior spent on me.







This reminder of my Lord’s sufferings is not lost on me, but my treasured recollection will always be the empty tomb. Thank you, God, for the resurrection!   








What about you? Is there something in nature, besides the dogwood tree, that reminds you of what Jesus did for you on the cross? Join the conversation below. 


2 comments:

  1. For me, it's the beauty of nature itself. When I think of most animals God created are color-blind, or mono-chromatic, I am reminded that God made the beauty of the world for His greatest creation (mankind) to enjoy. He didn't need to make flowers burst with color, to make the sky alive with color twice per day for the universe to function. He did it to remind us of His love for us. What a great reminder of this truth Ms. Julie. God's blessings ma'am.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Jim, His creations never cease to amaze me! His creations would have still been magnificent, even if the colors weren't so vibrant, yet, He did that just for us! I think the same about the intricate details of itty-bitty creatures that crawl on the ground that we rarely see, or all those sea creatures that swim so deep that we rarely see. Even though few of us see those miniature details, that didn't curb God's AMAZING, creative details in the least!! Thanks for chiming in!

    ReplyDelete