Friday, January 5, 2018





CONSIDER THE SNOW

by Julie Lavender

A brand new year brought a special blessing for my walk with God today.

SNOW!    SNOW!!     SNOW!!!!!

To many, that’s not a big deal. But in south-Georgia where I walk with God, it’s huge!

It just doesn’t snow here that often. On the rare occasion that it does snow, it’s merely a light dusting at best.




God’s beauty never ceases to amaze me. I’m in awe of His creations – the ones that breathe in oxygen and the ones that release oxygen – as well as the natural wonders, like majestic mountains, violent volcanoes, luxurious lakes, and shimmering seas.







God’s forces of nature intrigue me, too. Some frighten me, like tornadoes and hurricanes; some fascinate me, like lightning and wind, and some mesmerize me, like rain and snow.



     Snow in the deep-south


I think I could watch it snow for hours and never tire.

I know – I know – all y’all that live above the Mason-Dixon Line tire of it frequently, but for those of us in the south, it’s a rare treat. 



      You gotta understand – it’s a big deal, y’all!!

Like, Southern Magnolias aren't draped with snow often. 







                    And, Spanish Moss beards are
                   rarely cluttered with 
                                      snowflakes.






I didn’t take God’s gift for granted today on my walk with Him.




Thank you, God. Your snow is spectacular. Simply beautiful. Thank you; thank you, God. You did this – you said, “Let it snow,” and it did.







To live in AWE - 

                My prayer for 2018 


My prayer for 2018 is to strive for intentionality and purpose in noticing the beauty of God’s creations. The heavens and the earth. The sky. Dry land and wet seas. The lush greens and plant life. The stars and heavenly bodies. Life in the water, above the water, and out of the water. And beautiful humans - every size, shape, and color.



The snow today in the deep-south declared the glory of God. A blanket of beauty that gently fell from the sky and covered the ground, when God said, “Fall on the earth.”  The delicate pieces of frozen wonder reminded me that God’s in control of my world and my life. A nice way to usher in 2018.




     I’m in awe of your                    creations, God. 







And I especially enjoyed today’s SNOW!






 He says to the snow, 'Fall on the earth.' - Job 37:6







What about you? Do you like the snow? (I’ll be honest – I like it best when it’s here for just a short time!)


If you’ve had snow already this year, post a picture below or on my Facebook page and tell me about your walk with God.

10 comments:

  1. Julie,
    First of all, I love the pictures! I'm a SoCal girl, so YES, I love the snow. I live in what is considered the High Desert. We "might" get a dusting of snow and when it happens, I'm excited like you. I don't think I'd like to have snow like my brother gets in Alaska, however. I treasure my SoCal days of a high of 75!
    Blessings to you in 2018.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beckie, Thanks for responding! We lived at Camp Pendleton for three years during my husband's Navy career. In fact, my youngest daughter was born there, and we loved living there, but would have to travel elsewhere if we wanted to see snow while living there!! We're back in south-Georgia, our hometown, now that my husband is retired from Navy and onto his second career as wildlife biologist. And NO - I wouldn't want Alaska snow either on a regular basis, but I sure hope to visit Alaska one day!! Thanks for responding and appreciating my snow-excitement!! Blessings on your new year!

      Delete
  2. I love snow and I'm a southern girl, too. We missed the recent snow you had in GA (it went east of us), but had an earlier one in December. Like you, I'm constantly awestruck back the beauty of God's creation.Snow just seems to enhance nature's normal loveliness. I am glad; however, that the frigid air has departed. It's been REALLY cold this past week. Wishing you a blessed 2018!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! It has been so frigid for south-Georgia!! I loved this line that you said: "Snow just seems to enhance nature's normal loveliness." I have been trying to put into words how I felt about the snow last week and that hits the nail on the head! Thank you for commenting!

      Delete
  3. I wish you could send some of it my way!! East Texas only gets snow once every ten years or so, and we’ve only lived here two. I miss it so much from TN when we got it a few times every year. God’s creation is so beautiful, isn’t it? Glad you’re taking the time to notice it—a great goal!

    Heather Bock

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter, the only married one thus far of my four, lives in Chattanooga, TN, and yes, she's gotten snow a couple of times now since living there for three years. It's so rare here, which probably makes me adore it even more for its uniqueness! God's creation continues to astound me often! Thanks so much for commenting!

      Delete
  4. Hi Julie! It was breathtaking wasn't it! I'm just outside Savannah, and we were amazed at how much snow we got. We didn't fully believe the forecast until the flakes started falling, and my kids were so excited. Your photos are beautiful. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michele, so sorry - for some reason, this comment just showed up in my feed! My sister lives in Richmond Hill, so that must be near you, and she got way more snow than us! Her youngest - seventh grade - had never seen that much snow and she was thrilled! (We should chat about traveling to conferences together sometime, since we're not that far apart!)

      Delete
  5. I like to look at the snow in the backyard, but it does make getting around town hard. Still, once in a while, it's such a pretty thing to see (from inside!). Thank you for your post and the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katy, I'm right there with you! Growing up here in the south, I have no idea how to drive in the snow, so I enjoyed it the one day it was here and I didn't have anywhere to go - but I would have a hard time adjusting to a place that received snow on a regular basis! I am assuming it's what you get used to, wherever you live, but I know even folks who typically get snow regularly have already had a brutal winter in some areas!

      Delete