Saturday, December 30, 2017







Consider the Redstart                 

By Julie Lavender


Hurricane Irma loosened the soil around the large oak tree back in September and compromised the root system. Time and wind and stress crowded the tree, causing it to topple the other day.

My morning walk began with a stroll through the back yard, and something flitting atop the limbs of the fallen tree caught my eye.

“An American Redstart,” said my biologist husband. “It’s a warbler.”

“Why have I never noticed one in the backyard?”    


“Well, it darts around in the treetops, catching insects, rarely sitting still,” my hubby-with-all-the-answers said.


LOOK UP HIGH!



“The Redstart’s known to flash its tail feathers and spread its wings abruptly, in order to startle unsuspecting insects and snatch them right out of the air at times. You’ve probably just missed them because they’re so busy and stay tucked in amongst the leaves up high.”

What other beauties in God’s creation do I miss?




If I’m not careful, I allow my schedule to get busy and crowded, and I miss too much of God’s beautiful world surrounding me. His magnificent creations.

I’m reminded of His most precious creation, the One that rested in a manger so many years ago.

The One that Mary birthed and the One that Mary treasured and pondered. But Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart. (Luke 2:19 NIV)

Mary didn’t want to miss anything about that night. She wanted to remember it forever.

One translation says, “But Mary kept all these things in her heart and thought about them often.”

I don’t want to miss God’s creations, but I certainly don’t want to miss God’s Creation. I want to treasure and ponder and think about Jesus often in the next few days and months and upcoming New Year.



I plan to look UP .....

                               high…. 

                                           in 2018

      
    and treasure  

        and ponder ....... 







What about you? How do you plan to treasure and ponder Jesus this year?


Did God teach you something from one of His beautiful creations this week? If you'd like, share a picture of that creation below or on my Facebook page, Julie Lavender.


Comment below and tell me about your walk with God.   

8 comments:

  1. Good morning Julie! This is beautifully written. Walking among God's creation is my favorite way of spending time with Him. Today, my husband and I will go on a winter hike. Hope to bring back a picture to share, but the pictures never seem to do Him justice! Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My pictures never seem to capture the true spectacular beauty of His creations either, but I love trying! I am in awe of His creations each time I journey out. And I LOVE winter walks! Enjoy! Share a picture if you get one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Julie, I wasn't familiar with this bird, either. I agree that it's easy to be so busy with life that we miss the beauty God's created -- in animals, plants, and the people who cross our path. Just as Mary pondered the baby inside her, I think there is much we need to ponder. We just need to allow ourselves the time and grace to do that.
    Thanks for your interesting discovery that is now mine, too, Connie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree with you - we have much to ponder and the new year is a great time for me to remember that! I especially like what you said, that if we're not careful, we can miss God's beautiful people that cross our paths! I truly believe He puts those people in our path for a reason, and I need to remind myself of that daily! Thank you for responding!!

      Delete
  4. This is such a beautiful post. Today I shared a friend's FB post : "It's up to you to see the beauty in ordinary things." Twice in one day- I got the message.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved this! My editor article in the 2017 Fall/Winter issue of Living Real Magazine was titled, "Look Up!" We miss so much when we're staring at the ground or our feet or our screens. God has so much for us to enjoy and experience if we'll just look for it, up, down and all around. Thank you for posting! Blessings on your writing in 2018! ~Melanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melanie, thank you for responding, and I totally agree. Because my husband is an entomologist (bug guy), I often "look down" to find the tiny creations of God's, too, but, I find that I miss so much if I look down too much! (I perused the Living Real site and would love to read your Look Up article, but couldn't find the editor article. I would love for you to send that to me, if possible, at lavenders@bulloch.net so that I can read it. Thanks again for sharing and connecting!

      Delete
  6. Don't you just love when God does that? I think He knows that I personally need more than one reminder sometimes - ha ha - but, I just love when he affirms something for the second or third time in the same day!

    ReplyDelete