Friday, December 1, 2017


Consider the Spiderwort

by Julie Lavender

When I step off the porch to begin my walk, I spot the Virginia spiderworts bordering the sidewalk. Dainty flowers sit atop upright but flimsy stalks and the leaves stretch long and thin. And the flowers – oh, the flowers – exquisite and delicate and lovely.
I’m most likely partial to the flowers because of the coloration. The spiderwort displays three purple petals surrounding yellow anthers and purple, hair-like filaments.

Surprise!
I remember when my husband, David, brought home the first spiderwort plant. He’d confiscated it from the yard at an old abandoned homeplace on my brother’s property in the next county over.
“Look – your favorite colors, sweetie. Purple and yellow.”
David loves picking wildflowers; it’s his love language to me, and I have adored it for well over thirty years now.
We didn’t know the flower by name at the time, but he thought if he replanted it carefully, we could enjoy it for a season.

Taking root
Little did we know just how hearty this dainty flower was! Turns out, the Tradescantia virginiana by scientific name is a self-sowing perennial that practically takes care of itself.

What began as one plant has now multiplied to form a border along my curved sidewalk path that leads to my morning walk.
My mind drifts back to the day the spiderwort joined the Lavender family. Four children helped David dig in the mud and stand the newest member proudly in the dirt. Though I was the full-time homeschooling Mommy for my clan, David the biologist took captive every opportunity for a lesson.
He took care of most of the sciences; I imparted language arts and math tidbits, and we shared the responsibility of our children’s spiritual growth.
Years later, the Virginia spiderworts have multiplied but my children are slowly subtracting.

Fallow ground
I struggle with this new phase of my life – the sortof-empty nest. My homeschooling days are over; two of the four children have different zip codes and big-kid jobs and two are in college.
Though I’m sad with this new arrangement, I recognize that I’m not the first Mommy to experience the pains of letting little ones go.

Sown seeds
My thoughts turn to the oldest one – a school counselor at an elementary school in north-Georgia. Of course he would spend a lifetime with little ones. After all, he entertained his siblings and they adored him. What a blessing he must be to those children who need him!
An elder at his church, the Branch Church, Jeremy shares the love of Jesus with children and youth and they clamor for his attention, just like his siblings did!
And then there’s the second fledgling. The married one. She lives in Tennessee with her godly husband. Jenifer and Adam both work for their church, Venue Church, one of the fastest growing churches in Chattanooga. Both serve in varying facets of ministry. Jenifer’s emphasis began with the Care Team.
I’m not surprised that she’s on the Care Team Ministry. She’s had a passion for people since her two younger siblings were born. Jenifer showed a genuine concern for others at a very young age.
Almost finished with an accounting master’s degree, Jeb Daniel ministers often with the gift of music. A talented guitarist, my third child took part in praise bands in high school and college.  He’ll find a way to use his musical abilities when he gets a big-boy job, too, just like his siblings. I’m just not ready for another one to move away.
Jessica, my youngest, is in the middle of her second year of college and lives with friends near the campus. She’s found her niche, too, and hangs out with fellow students at the Baptist Collegiate Ministries when she’s not studying. Before the first semester ended, Jessica was asked to take part in the BCM Council. The highlight of her freshman year was a train trip to Washington, DC for ministry over spring break.
I’m not surprised she’s finding ways to tell others about Jesus. She soaked in every bible story I shared with her and wanted to be at church every time the doors were open! (And when they weren’t – because her siblings served as youth and college interns, she knew the pass code to tag along with them, even when the doors weren’t open!)

Flourishing flowers
I pass by the Virginia spiderworts dancing in the breeze when my walk is over. One plant that multiplied to garnish the length of my sidewalk.
 I’m reminded of a verse in Acts, 12:24, that says, “But the word of God continued to spread and flourish” (NIV). When each child was planted in our Lavender home, David and I delighted in sharing Jesus: planting seeds for eternity, watering, nourishing, and occasionally weeding.
My offspring may have been uprooted and planted elsewhere, but they’re spreading the word of God in their own little gardens and flourishing beautifully! I wouldn’t want it any other way!







2 comments:

  1. How lovely that one of your favourite flowers reminds you of your garden of children, how you watered and cared for them and watched them grow. I love this post.
    P. S. I had never heard of Spiderwort before. I wonder if it would survive our Canadian winters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't answered because I needed to check with my resident biologist-husband, Joylene. But, he checked for me and it can very well survive Canadian winters!! Well - I'll at least say this - it is native in the US all the way up to Minnesota and over to upstate NY and Maine, and has been introduced in Ontario. So, that sounds like to me it could survive! It is such a pretty flower, and I adore anything that reminds me of my garden of children! Blessings to you in the New Year!!

    ReplyDelete