Friday, January 12, 2018



CONSIDER THE BEAUTYBERRY BUSH

by Julie Lavender





Iridescent, dark violet berries hang in clusters beneath chartreuse leaves, attracting the attention of hungry birds and nibbling mammals. The American beautyberry shrub, aptly named, certainly catches my attention on a winter walk.

The long, arching branches droop with the weight of its fruit from early fall to late winter. Some of the berries become snacks for raccoons and squirrels and armadillos and opossums. Quail, cardinals, mockingbirds and a variety of songbirds partake in the delicacies, too. And the deer forage on them heavily, too.


Yet, many of the berries cling to the bush throughout the bleak months of early winter, lending color to an otherwise drab landscape. The berries, though beautiful, are somewhat bitter in taste, so they’ll do in a pinch for a hungry critter, but might not be the preferred morsel. At least, not when other tasty treats are available.

I think God did that on purpose….in fact, I know He did.






Splashes of Color


Isn’t it just like God to know that we’d need splashes of color to brighten our winter canvas?




I believe God wanted to remind 
me, also, to search for that bright patch of color whenever I’m faced 
with a difficult circumstance or 
just having a bad day.



Like, when I was overwhelmed with writing projects and didn’t think I could face another interview one bitterly cold morning recently. And yet God blessed me with the coolest experience in that coffee shop! My interview subject was serenaded with “Amazing Grace” and “Happy Birthday” by a pastor with the most heavenly voice I think I’ve ever heard!

And that time I was unloading a cartload of groceries onto the conveyor belt and asked the clerk where the tubes of chapstick were located – I’ve always found them at the checkout counters, but none on lane number six where I stood with anxious customers assembling behind me.

“Well, some of the lanes have them,” is all she mumbled and kept scanning my wares.  

The woman behind me heard my question, and she promptly sent her twenty-something-year-old daughter off on a search for me. The sweet young girl made it back with chapstick in hand before I had to pay!


White as snow


And then there was the rare, south-Georgia snow that blanketed my city last week with its lacy snowflakes dancing their way to the ground. 

God could’ve created snowflakes to be any color He wanted them to be, but He knew the contrast of white, pristine flakes against the drab colors of winter and bare branches poking their fingers into the sky would stir our soul with longings of purity and freshness. 



God provides beauty in the winter season indeed – I just sometimes fail to look for it. 


"Yet God has made everything beautiful for its own







But those brilliant purple berries 
of the beautyberry bush reminded 
me on my walk with God to keep 
my eyes open for His beauty all 
winter long.







What about you? What splashes of color – natural ones from the Creator or unique treats from God – have you noticed so far this season?

Tell me what God showed you recently on a winter walk with Him and share a picture, too, if you'd like. I'd love to see God's beauty in your neck of the woods.

13 comments:

  1. So true, I, too, fail to look at the beauty God provides. Thank you for the reminder to pay attention. He is faithful indeed to care for us, even in the details of color on a wintry day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marcie, I couldn't agree more! These berries were just stunning, and I needed the reminder that He really does care about the details! Thank you for replying!!

      Delete
  2. There is something about color in the midst of gray that sings God's praises. For me, I have noticed the deciduous holly in the side yard. The red berries are nearly gone now - treats for hungry birds during this stark, cold winter. It speaks of provision to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE red berries during the winter, especially the holly! My husband (the biologist) and I found a new bush with red berries that he said is not holly and he promised to identify it for me soon. It was just gorgeous yesterday on our cold afternoon walk! Those purple berries of the American beautyberry certainly provide food for lots of God's critters! Thank you so much for replying and sharing your winter splash of color from God!

      Delete
  3. Thank you for such a beautiful reminder of how we are always surrounded by God's beauty. No matter how dark or dreary the moment seems, God's light is in us and with us, and His beauty is breathtaking! I needed this reminder today to slow down and enjoy it all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much commenting! And, I completely agree with you - no matter how dreary the winter may seem or our circumstances, His light is indeed in us. Have an incredibly blessed day!

      Delete
  4. I just love the name--beautyberry bush! We don't have those, but what a blessing to see those lovely purple berries in the winter. It's been so cold recently, that I haven't taken many walks, but on these cold clear days and nights the sky is so bright and blue by day and the stars are so vivid by night. God paints awesome pictures and they are there for us to see every day! Thanks for the blessing, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank YOU, for blessing me with a comment! Yes, God paints such masterpieces every day for me, and I try to be intentional to notice them, but sometimes I get caught up in 'life' and miss them! And, I know what you mean - not sure where you live, but here in south-Georgia, we're experiencing colder temps than usual (and I've seen other parts of the country in bitter temperatures!) and our southern blood just ain't prepared for that! I've skipped a walk or two, anxiously awaiting warmer temperatures!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your blog on the Beautyberry. One of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are becoming one of my favorites, too! Blessings and hope you're staying warm in your neck of the woods!

      Delete
  7. I just like the name itself: beautyberry. Thank you for your post, Julie, and I want to look for the good in every circumstance. God knows how to plant it there or to make it bloom later when we think back on it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE the name too - a bit of a tongue-twister, but that makes it all the more fun to say aloud! God is incredibly creative about planting that good that I so often miss. But what beauty I truly miss if I'm not careful! Thank you so much for your sweet words! I'm glad God planted us in the same garden, that garden of 'ministry of words' that you once referred to! I've enjoyed our 'growing' season and look forward to many harvests.

      Delete