Tuesday, January 28, 2020


CONSIDER THE MAGPIE
by Julie Lavender




On a walk in the Rocky Mountain National Park, my husband and I spotted beautiful, winged magpies. With none of these gorgeous beauties in my neck of the woods in south Georgia, they especially attracted my attention.







I found it fascinating that magpies, members of the jay and crow family, mate for life and work together to build nests. 








The male gathers sticks for the exterior of the domed nest, and the female cares for the inside, forming a cup shape with mud and then embellishing with a lining of grass.









But, it was this characteristic of magpies that my biologist husband shared that particularly intrigued me: magpies, like a few other birds – crows and ravens to be exact – seem to take part in a “funeral” of sorts when another magpie expires. 






Videos online show one or two magpies flitting about a lifeless magpie and then creating such a cacophonus ruckus that in a short time, other magpies swoop in, surrounding the dead magpie, and joining in the call to others.






Some scientists believe the magpies gather in such an aggregation to scare away whatever predator might have killed the magpie, and some believe that the birds are actually “grieving” the loss of one of their own.






Whatever instinct God gave the magpies that results in this scenario, it reminds me that I should use my voice to tell others that God offers eternal life through his son, Jesus Christ. That death is not the end for the believer. That a glorious homecoming in heaven awaits the believer!






I’m not sure a “magpie ruckus” is the best way for me to use my voice, but, nevertheless, I’ll heed the reminder to share with others!








What about you? Have you found a way to share Jesus with someone this week?




2 comments:

  1. Ms. Julie, I would be honored to stand beside you and "raise a ruckus" about the saving grace of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ my friend. I think we might draw a momentary crowd in the center of our small town squares, but a more effective way would be showing God's impact upon and light within our lives each day. I've found it best for my testimony to let the Holy Spirit raise the ruckus; I'm just His witness! God's blessings ma'am. Loved this lesson!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for commenting, J.D., and the "quiet" person that I am, I'd be hard-pressed to raise a ruckus, but, if God asked me to ... I'd have to obey! I like even better the image that comes to mind when you say "let the Holy Spirit raise the ruckus"!!! Blessings, my friend, and continue that witness for the Lord each day with the way you live your life!

    ReplyDelete