Friday, November 15, 2019



Thankful for Writing Friends and the Writing Journey
by Julie Lavender


I love writing about my walk with God in the great outdoors and the lessons I learn from His creative masterpieces that creep, crawl, fly, slither, or put down roots and send up sprouts and stems.



But, as most of you know, a huge part of my walk with God includes my writing journey. 


I'm blessed to be part of Edie Melson's writing website, The Write Conversation, and I contribute monthly. I hope you'll take a look at my Thanksgiving post on her site. You'll find it here.


I'll share part of the post below, and I wish you all a very happy Thanksgiving! 



With newspaper writing, I’ve learned to:

Tackle “writing tight.”

Hone valuable editing skills.

Accumulate bylines quickly.

Network with fascinating members of the community.

Kickstart platform and name recognition.

Share “little” stories that might otherwise go untold.

Gain experience writing on deadline.

Inspire readers with positive, encouraging, faith-based stories.

Value local stories of God’s work in the community.

Incorporate original articles in other outlets.

Notice and acknowledge community members of faith.

Generate income, albeit minimal, at times.


God bless you, my friends. 
I thank God for you often! 

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thankful for Edie Melson and for you, too, Julie Lavender. I am thankful for the wisdom you both share with other writers. Thank you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you so much Melissa! Isn't Edie Melson great? She is such an amazing cheerleader for writers!! We are all blessed to know her, to experience her conferences, and to benefit from her writing website with such great info! And, I enjoy sharing what little I can add that might help other writers! Thank you, Melissa!!

      Delete
  3. And your writing friends love you too Ms. Julie. Am so thankful for all your encouragement and support ma'am. God's blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, J.D.!!! Your words are so very kind! I just appreciate that so much. I am the one blessed, most certainly, and it is a joy to know so many writers. It is such a pleasure to know you and have been able to meet you in person. Your encouragement and support have meant so much to me and to so many other writers that you and I both have the pleasure of knowing! Thanksgiving is the best time to remember that we are all on this journey together and to remind us of those special relationships we have with fellow writers. Blessings, J.D.!!

      Delete
  4. You're right, Julie, we have much to be thankful for. I"m so glad God gifted us in this way and that he's brought us together in our amazing writers community. Happy Thanksgiving indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are so many wonderful advantages to this "social media" world of technology, aren't there Lori? When we use it for good, right? I am thankful for the connection it allows me to have with fellow writers, and those relationships are definitely some of the many blessings that I'm counting over the holidays this month and beyond!

    ReplyDelete