Wednesday, September 25, 2019


CONSIDER THE PAINTED LADY BUTTERFLY
by Julie Lavender






Beautiful Painted Lady butterflies caught my attention as I headed out for my morning walk with God. Flitting about the bright-colored lantana blooms, the winged insects searched for sweet nectar amongst the blossoms. Flashes of deep orange against black, with white-spot embellishments, are eye-catching and appealing as the butterflies never seem to sit still for longer than a few seconds.

Back in the spring, an unusually large migration of painted lady butterflies took place in California. The butterflies were traveling from the Mojave Dessert where they overwintered to the Pacific Northwest. Apparently, a heavier-than-normal rainfall in the dessert contributed such a plant life explosion that the success rate of egg to caterpillar and then chrysalis to butterfly was unusually large this year.

Facebook posts and California news outlets boasted of the migration for days. I can’t help but be reminded of the mass migration of God’s people in the book of Exodus when I hear stories like that.

God had a plan for His chosen people, and He conveyed that plan to Moses. God gave Moses the directions needed for His people to move from Egypt to the Promised Land.

God’s plans for the painted lady butterfly involve an annual movement from the south to the Pacific Northwest, and then back again later in the year.

Sometimes God’s plans for us involve a migration of sorts, a move from one place or area to another. That may be a physical move or it may be a spiritual, emotional, professional, or educational move. It could be a new job, a new career, a new residence, a new ministry, a new way of doing Bible study, a new way to spend quality time with the family.

God’s migrations and moves may come with trials and difficulties or adventure and excitement – or most likely a combination of both, but the best path is always obedience to God’s directions where His beauty is ultimately revealed.

What about you? Are you in a season of migration? Share an upcoming move below, physical or otherwise, and join the conversation.    




2 comments:

  1. Great post Ms. Julie. Right now, I feel like I'm where God wants me to be. He gives me wonderful inspirations to write about, provides me with a level of spiritual understanding that lets me apply what nature has to teach me. I feel at peace. I recognize I must always be willing to step into the unknown if that's where God leads me, but for right now, my migratory days are limited to just around the ranch. Although a few trips within CONUS provide me with the variety I need to grow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a comforting thought, isn't it, J.D., to know that you're right where God wants you to be!!! Our military migrations were fun and exciting and challenging, too, but, yes - there's a comfort to be "settled" and where God wants us, until he lets us know, if ever, that it's time for another migration. (And, if I lived on the lovely ranch that you live on, I'd hope to not have to leave any time soon!!)

    ReplyDelete