Friday, September 27, 2019


CONSIDER THE MILLIPEDE
by Julie Lavender


The steamy hot humid nights we’ve had lately in southeast Georgia have brought out a plethora of millipedes on my evening walks with my husband. My morning walks seem to catch those arthropods heading back to daytime shelter after nocturnal foraging for decaying leaves and other dead plant matter.



Millipedes are fascinating to me with their bajillion legs moving in synchrony. Well, my estimation of leg-count is slightly off, but so is their nomenclature. The name derives from the Latin definition meaning “thousand feet.”  Scientists have yet to find a species with 1000 feet – the record holds for a 750-legged one instead.

Millipedes have two pairs of jointed legs per body segment, and even with that many legs, they are generally a slow-moving critter.

I love to watch them creep along, each leg moving with military precision in relation to the others. Like a marching army. Those able legs in formation remind me of that Bible story in 2 Samuel, soon after David was anointed king of Israel.



The Philistines, not pleased with that announcement, mobilized their forces to capture David. The first time the Philistines make their move, David consults God, and the Lord tells him in 2 Samuel 5:19, “Yes, go ahead, I will certainly hand [the Philistines] over to you.”

The marauding Philistines don’t learn their lesson, and when they regroup for another attempt on the king’s life, David again seeks guidance from the Lord. The Lord replies, in verses 23-24: “Do not attack them straight on. Instead, circle around behind and attack them near the poplar trees. When you hear a sound like marching feet in the tops of the poplar trees, be on the alert! That will be the single that the Lord is moving ahead of you to strike down the Philistine army.”

David does exactly what the Lord said and is victorious.



Oh, what comfort and joy to know that God goes before me, that His mighty army protects me and leads the way!








My little marching millipedes serve as a reminder of one of my favorite verses: “The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.” Deuteronomy 31:8 NIV




What about you? Does one of God’s magnificent creations call to mind a favorite verse? Share it below and join the conversation.


3 comments:

  1. Centi- and milli- pedes always caused me to think of the oars sticking out from a sailing ship making way without wind. Slow, but steady. As I've grown in Christ, I also think of the body of Christ (His people). Whether Christian or millipede, we must move our oars in unison to make progress in life. What a wonderful analogy you've given me to think and meditate on this day Ms. Julie. God's blessings ma'am.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rosh Hashanah begins at sundown this evening (7:18 EST)...make a joyful noise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely, J.D. - when I watch them walk with all those legs moving in synchronicity it reminds me that only a God in heaven could design such a being that that many legs could all work together to make progress in the right direction. And, you're right - Christians need to have that singular purpose in mind - to walk in such a way to glorify God - and then we can make such progress! Wonderful analogy, J.D. - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete