Monday, February 25, 2019




CONSIDER THE MOUNTAIN CREEK
by Julie Lavender







My husband, David, and I visited our son in North Georgia recently and walked a short pathway in Dawson Forest that hugged a mountain creek. 









I love to listen to the endless babbling and bubbling narrow creek trickles and the roaring of large, fast-moving expanses of the creek and everything in-between.




I especially like the splashing sounds when the cold water makes its way over scattered boulders or topples over a cliff, forming a beautiful waterfall.












Our hiking path meandered through the forest along the curves of the creek, and I marveled at another one of God’s magnificent creations: the mountain creek.










Thank you, God, for your beautiful world.




I stepped close to the moving water. Squatting, I dipped my hand into the water to feel the coldness. With my reflection staring back at me, I noticed a flash of color in the water and realized that a rainbow trout darted away underneath my shadow.




Another flash of movement, slower this time, alerted me to the crayfish making his way through the mud in search of a morsel of food.

And just on the other side of the tiny crustacean, a couple of mayflies rose to the surface of the water, taking flight shortly after.

Sharing my sightings with my son and husband when I made my way back to the trail, I listened as my biologist husband reminded me of other creatures that call a mountain creek home, like stone flies and caddisflies, an occasional snake, snails, darters and creek chubs, and more.




On the surface, a mountain creek conveys God’s handiwork and beauty. With just a word, he spoke the mountain creek into existence.











Yet, more careful observations and peering beneath the surface reveals much more. A mountain creek, teeming with God’s masterpieces and handiwork. More life and creations than could ever be counted.

I’m learning more and more on my walks with God that much of God’s blessings and beauty lies beneath the surface. I think He intended it that way because He wants me to look deeper, search harder, be more cognizant of the world around me.  





It may be just a trickle of a blessing or it may be the roar of something magnificent. But I’ll never know if I don’t keep my eyes and ears, and my heart and hands, open and ready to receive His goodness.









What about you? Did you find a blessing or beauty “beneath the surface” this week? Share below and let’s talk about God’s countless works!   


6 comments:

  1. We are blessed to have a creek on our farm (a flat-land creek rather than a mountain one, but still beautiful). I love walking along it and don't do it nearly enough. The song of the water is so soothing and the tiny waterfalls we have bring joy when we're feeling glum. I receive so much on those quite walks in God's creation. I know He speaks to us anywhere and everywhere, but somehow, He seems closer in quiet solitude of nature. A blessing I've received this week is SUNSHINE! After five days of rain, we've had two sunny days. God is Good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katherine, your creek sounds lovely! I totally agree with you - God seems closer in the quiet solitude of nature, and for me, I think that's because I know that His hands crafted every piece and particle of nature surrounding me! I'm glad you had sunshine today - it was overcast - AGAIN - today here, but no rain. But, like you said, God is ALWAYS good!! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie,
    I enjoyed these beautiful pictures and your message. My husband and I like to hike. I always find myself breathless at God's creation (and keeping up with my husband!).
    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha, Beckie! Love your comment!Yes, I'm breathless at God's amazing masterpieces, but many of our hikes involve our kids, and my boys .... oh my can they walk fast!!! And, though I walk here in south Georgia where it's flat, regularly, the slightest bit of incline causes me to gasp for air!!!!! Thanks for joining the conversation! All joking aside about how out of shape I am when I encounter hills and mountains, God's creations leave me breathless in wonder and awe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Julie, I love the mountain creeks in North Georgia! Reading your post and seeing the wonderful photos was a blessing, as well as a reminder to slow down long enough to see His blessings in nature and in our lives. However, there's one problem. You left me wanting to head to the mountains. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love mountain creeks in North Georgia, Jeannie! And, like you, I never tire of them! Even re-walking a same path with our son when we visit brings new sightings and rewards from the Lord!!! As you know, down here in Statesboro, we can't even hardly buy a hill, much less see the beauty of a mountain!!!! I just love the rolling hills of your area! Macon is beautiful to me! (And I love going to High Falls - we've been there a couple of times in the past!!)

    ReplyDelete