Thursday, August 30, 2018


CONSIDER THE ANHINGA

by Julie Lavender






On my walk with God today, I spotted the long-necked and beautiful Anhinga. 











Sometimes called a Snakebird because of the way it swims with its whole body submerged except for the neck and head, the Anhinga typically feeds on fish, but will sometimes eat snakes and small turtles.











"I'll have the sushi, please!" 

The sharp-pointed bill with serrated edges is an excellent weapon for spearing dinner, and the Anhinga will sometimes stab a fish, toss it into the air, open wide and swallow the sushi-meal whole.







Feathers fit for a ..... Snakebird

God designed the feathers of the Anhinga differently than, say, a duck or goose. With their unusual shape and without the oils of ducks and most other waterfowl, the Anhinga’s feathers can become waterlogged.









This is to the advantage of the Anhinga, however, because the non-buoyant body can then dive deep and search underwater for its prey. An Anhinga can stay submerged for quite some time.



Basking in the sun

When not fishing in a wooded pond, freshwater marsh, lake, or cypress swamp, the Anhinga is often seen perched on a log or branch near the water with its wings outstretched and back to the sun to dry the waterlogged feathers.



        Every detail, created with perfection

I couldn’t help but marvel at the way God designed the Anhinga’s body to perform with perfection, in the water and out. An excellent flyer, the Anhinga soars on outstretched and dry feathers. But soaked to the skin, literally, the Anhinga dives deep to fish with skill and accuracy.





And between the two jobs of fishing and flying, the Anhinga basks in the warmth of the sun to dry the uniquely-designed feathers in preparation for flight.










Sharp-pointed, serrated bill. Long, snake-like neck for rapid twisting and turning and stabbing fish. Specially-fitted feathers that soar gracefully above and dive to necessary depths for adequate sustenance. Webbed-feet to paddle swiftly while swimming or assist in ‘running’ across the top of the water when the wings are too doused with wetness to fly immediately.



Designed by the Almighty Creator with 
such perfection!




Just like me; just like you. If God shows such great concern for the Anhinga and knows every unusually-shaped feather on its body, I’m quite certain He cares for me just the same.







And the best way for me to show my gratitude is to bask in the Son daily.

    


What about you? Do you feel wonderfully made by God? I'll admit, I don't always, when I glance at my reflection in the mirror. Yet, God made me just like he wanted me, with perfection, and I try - most of the time - to be grateful for that!  


No comments:

Post a Comment