Sunday, July 22, 2018





 CONSIDER THE ALLIGATOR
by Julie Lavender




These four-legged reptiles strike almost as much terror in me as a legless, slithering snake or an eight-legged creeping spider or a stinging six-legged critter.







Reptiles and arachnids and insects – oh my!




Yet even though they terrify me and I dislike their defense mechanisms, I find an intriguing and exquisite beauty in each of the aforementioned creations.







They're all His...even the scary ones.....! 

After all, each one belongs to God – His hand formed and crafted every one. He knows when one perishes as prey or gets swatted by me.







Close to extinction...

The American alligator came close to disappearing from earth during the 1950s and 1960s. The species was hunted to near-extinction, for alligator appetizers, as well as to meet the demands of those who sought alligator hide handbags, shoes and what not. And many alligators were eliminated simply because humans feared them or viewed them as pests.






A reduction of unprotected wetlands at the time, which meant diminishing habitat, also contributed to their vanishing population.








A helping hand from 
        man....

But that changed in 1967 when the alligator was officially listed as endangered. Hunting halted for a time and state and federal agencies began raising alligators in various facilities to later release and reintroduce to areas where they’d previously been extirpated.  




Success! 

With protection and proper management, the American alligator recovered and was delisted twenty years later. The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service declares the alligator one of the first endangered species success stories.



Restrictive and managed hunting to prevent overpopulation of the American alligator is allowed now, but only with guidance and monitoring.







A peak at a reptile or
            two or more .... 


On a recent walk with God at Magnolia Springs State Park, about thirty miles from my home, I encountered a small handful of alligators in their natural habitat.








Visitors are strongly encouraged to keep their distance and view the reptiles from the boardwalks only. (I had no trouble complying.) The alligators swim freely in the springs and often crawl out of the mud to lounge on the grass and bask in the sunshine.  






Protecting God's
 masterpieces....

As part of his job as a wildlife biologist, my husband has the privilege and honor to help protect the American alligator. He’s relocated many an alligator that wandered a little too close to humans.








You know, I don’t think I’ll ever be brave enough to assist my husband with any of those relocations – I think I’ll continue to view them safely from the boardwalk, locked safely in my vehicle, or even farther away.








Still frightened, but appreciating and caring from afar..... really far!

And, I think I’ll always be terrified of a slithering snake and not particular fond of eight-legged, web-builders. But that doesn’t mean I should wish for their eradication because of my needless fears or cause their demise because of my carelessness.








God formed each living and breathing masterpiece, and He expects me to do my part to care for His creations. All of His creations – even the icky and slimy and slithering and scary ones!  






In his hand is the life of every living thing..... Job 12:10 ESV


What about you? Do any of God’s creations terrify you as much as snakes and alligators scare me? Have you learned, like me, to appreciate their beauty – as long as you keep your distance?





No comments:

Post a Comment