Wednesday, February 28, 2018


CONSIDER THE SPANISH MOSS
by Julie Lavender


                                                                                       

My family lived in various parts of the country when my husband served as a medical entomologist for the United States Navy. Several of those duty stations took us far from our home in the southeast corner of the country.

Each time we came home for a visit, silver drapes of Spanish Moss on oaks and pines waved a welcome. Few things said ‘you’re home’ quite like Spanish Moss.



Loving the Spanish Moss, God, but were those pesky gnats necessary?



Well, actually, wicked humidity and ferocious gnats served as a reminder, too, but those go in the “Were those really necessary, God?” column – Spanish Moss, however, was a pleasing indicator of southern life.

I passed several trees on my walk this week that boasted the grayish strands. Some of them seemed like mere wisps of hair, while others contained thick masses of beard-like material.



True, not true




Some false assumptions abound about Spanish Moss – namely that it’s a parasite and harmful to the tree, somewhat like the mistletoe plant that I’ve blogged about before.


But Spanish Moss is actually an epiphyte, meaning it receives it’s nutrients from the air and from rainwater. Spanish Moss has no roots and doesn’t need soil. It’s really not even a moss, nor is it Spanish, but an early name stuck.



                                                   


Another falsehood about the Spanish Moss plant is that it harbors throngs of chiggers, the irritating, biting larval stage of a mite. While some chiggers are found in low-hanging strands of Spanish Moss, they are not as prolific as many believe, simply because the chigger’s choice of hosts are warm-blooded animals, and those aren’t often found in the tops of trees.


A home for lots of God's masterpieces


Spanish Moss does serve as a home for all sorts of wildlife, though. Like the Pelegrina tillandsia spider, spider mites, and the Zebra longwing butterflies that roost in the plant at night. 

Birds, like warblers and orioles, often pull filaments of Spanish Moss to weave into their nests.




And frogs and toads hide out in Spanish Moss that falls from the tree to the ground.


Spanish Moss says "you're home" to southerners






Spanish Moss only grows in the southeastern United States and prefers areas of high humidity, usually near water. And the garlands can grow to be over twenty feet long!









                                                                    




The lacy, curtain-like drapes wave and blow through the air, dangling from the branches of trees, whispering into the wind, “Welcome to the south, y’all.”





You know you're in the south when the Spanish Moss waves "hey y'all"






Yet, the moss wouldn’t have to speak for you to know you’d landed below the Mason-Dixon Line. The very sight of Spanish Moss is indicator enough.





                                                              
John 13:35 NLT says, “Your love for one another will prove to the world that 
you are my disciples."




 

No statement needed, no whispering, no shouting. No words necessary to prove we belong to God. Our actions will show it. 

Oh, to be so blatant....








God, let me be as blatantly indicative of You as the Spanish Moss plant is indicative to my southeastern corner of the United States.






What about you? What natural wonder says “you’re home” in your corner of the world?

What did God teach you through one of His creations this week?





7 comments:

  1. I saw Spanish moss for the first time a few years ago when we visited Georgia. So much different from New England where I live. Home for me smells like curls of wood smoke rising from chimney stacks in winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE the New England area, but have only visited a couple of times. My husband spent six weeks there for Officer Indoctrination School, at the beginning of his Navy career, and I visited him twice. I think it is so beautiful there and hope to visit again. And, yes - the rare occasions that we need a fire, I do enjoy the smell of wood burning!

      Delete
  2. Julie, I so enjoyed reading your post. I always love to see Spanish Moss when we travel to coastal regions in the deep south. I learned many facts from your post. Thanks.
    Living in southwestern Virginia, the Blue Ridge Mountains rise up to welcome us home when we travel outside of our area. I love it every time!
    What did I learn from nature this week. Hummm--- we did some hiking in the mountains and I was reminded of the beauty of God's creation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Blue Ridge Mountains are stunning to me, and I wish I could visit them more often. I never tire of seeing mountains rising up in greeting, either. When we lived in Washington State, because it was overcast and rainy often, when the mountain peak was visible, I would get so excited! My kids often teased me when I said, "Look at the mountain!" as if it was the first time I'd ever seen it!

      Delete
    2. Oh, and we went hiking this weekend and last weekend while visiting my son in North Georgia and my daughter in Chattanooga. Both times we were able to hike through the mountains and saw God's beautiful waterfalls and rhododendron and a couple of chipmunks...God's creation really is beautiful!

      Delete
  3. I'm with Connie. I was born in Northeast Tennessee (right below southwestern Virginia), and I tried for years to leave the mountains, but they never left me. Nowadays, it's the sight of those ancient, weathered mountains--in any season--that welcomes me home like my great-grandmother's embrace when I was a child.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We lived in Stafford, VA for a year, but didn't make it to Northeast Tennessee often. When we visit Tennessee now, it's to see my daughter and her husband in Chattanooga. We love visiting her and we almost always take in a mountain-hike, like this weekend. Wow - LOVE your words .... "like my great-grandmother's embrace when I was a child." That's a very beautiful sentiment! I didn't have the pleasure of knowing a great-grandparent - that must've been very special indeed!

      Delete