Tuesday, February 20, 2018




CONSIDER THE SLIMY SALAMANDER
by Julie Lavender



       
With the warm weather we’ve had lately here in south-Georgia – no, let’s face it – HOT weather – it just really shouldn’t be in the 80s in February – I encountered the first slimy salamander of the season.

They always frighten me initially because of the way they slither. They look so much like a tiny snake scooting across the road ahead of me.

        






And not that a four-inch snake could hurt me, but I am terrified of snakes. All snakes. Snakes are my enemy. They make me do really strange and ungraceful dances, and they create shrieks in me that would terrify Sasquatch.




No snakes, please


Once I realized it wasn’t a snake, I took a better look. Shiny black body and scattered white spots where his skin meets the pavement. Small flecks of white on his head and tail.

David and I usually see them on our night walk, after a rain, when it’s warm and humid outside. They head out then to forage for food, like insects or small invertebrates.


Nocturnal beauties


Most of the time, they hide out under logs and leaves and other forest debris during the day to avoid being eaten by raccoons or large crayfish or maybe even a giant water bug.

The slimy salamander gets its name from the sticky, glue-like substance it can exude when threatened or disturbed.




        


It sticks to the mouth of its predator and oftentimes the salamander has time to escape while the perpetrator is trying to smear and remove the glue coating his lips. I’ll bet that’s an interesting sight to see, but I’ve yet to have that privilege.

        



Always an escape .... if we tap into God's strength


I think it’s really cool that God gave the salamander a way of escape from his enemies. Just like he did lots of animals, and like he does for us humans too. I’m reminded of that great Bible story where Samson used his strength to just rip the doors right off the very hinges of the gate, and he escaped from the Gazaites just in the nick of time.

I just wish he could have remembered God’s strength when deceptive Delilah came calling!


Samson and the slimy salamander remind me that God’s given me what I need to resist temptation and escape my enemies. It may not be a sticky, glue-like substance. It may just be two feet to run the other direction when a snake crosses the road ahead of me instead of a cute salamander.











I have the resources when I tap into God's strength. I just need to use them. 

















What about you? How was your walk with God this week?

Did you encounter anything unusual? Are you as terrified of snakes as I am?

Share with me what God taught you this week through His creations – I’d love to hear!

No comments:

Post a Comment