Wednesday, October 23, 2019


Sweet surprises along the writing journey
by Julie Lavender




My walk with God this week takes me on an unexpected publication journey, rather than on my usual nature walk blogpost. Most of my writing projects have followed a certain, expected path - pray, research, read, attend conferences, pray, query, wait, receive a few rejections, pray, query more, celebrate an acceptance, praise, pray, write, hit "send," wait, celebrate publication! 


But, I love it when God surprises me, reminding me that He is the author and perfecter of my faith, as well as my writings! 

Several years ago at a conference, I met Michelle Cox during one of the amazing classes she taught. Her effervescent personality, never-ending smile, joyous spirit, and heart for the Lord inspired me from the moment I met her. Her passion for God is evident in all that she says and does.

Our friendship grew as I trekked to other conferences, and I've learned so much about the craft of writing from Michelle's classes and blogs and writings. I followed her blog and read the book by the same name, Just 18 Summers, coauthored by Michelle and Rene Gutheridge. 

Several conferences later, I pitched a blog post idea to Michelle during a one-on-one meeting, and I was thrilled for Michelle to add me as a contributor to her parenting blog, Just18Summers.com. I've enjoyed contributing to her site for over a year now and loved every minute of it.



This past summer, Michelle invited me to join her as co-author for a Christmas devotional. Thrilled, elated, ecstatic, jubilant - this writer can't even think of enough synonyms to describe how I felt about writing a book with an author I admire as much as I do Michelle and for that project to be a book that encourages readers to come and behold the Lord Jesus in every aspect of the holiday season.






The path to publication is a winding, fascinating journey that includes hills and valleys and pastures and a few wild jungles! It takes perseverance and hard work, dedication and commitment, supportive friends and family, and much much prayer. And sometimes, a project that you didn't even know was a possibility just lands in your lap because of a sweet friendship and a wonderful Father!   

"....fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before HIm endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God." Hebrews 12:2 NASB



Come and Behold Him, a sweet Christmastime devotional, is available for preorder now and releases in early November, just in time for you to share with friends and family as a special gift to make the holiday season even sweeter. Please consider adding our devotional to your Christmas reading this year, as well as sharing the book as gifts to those you love. 


And, remember: never underestimate the plans God has for your writing path. Follow protocol for the path to publication, but look for sweet surprises from the Savior, too! Enjoy the journey and come and behold Him every season of the year! 

What about you? In what ways has God surprised you with sweet and unexpected treats during your writing journey? 


17 comments:

  1. I love my writing journey. God has provided many blessings and opportunities to write my own stories, devotions, etc. God has also provided many opportunities to write guest blog posts and participate in compilations. I learn something new about writing everyday. Rejections come and go. God is always with me and I pray I will share His love with everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa, I love reading your words, and I believe you are a blessing to everyone who reads your work! Your words point people to Him and give Him the glory He deserves. And, I completely agree with you - I learn something about God, myself, or other people with everything I write!! It's definitely a journey where I feel like I've never "arrived" ..... there's always things to learn and ways to grow! And, I think that's part of the beauty and challenge and joy of it all! It's really fun for me to look back at all the ways God has provided blessings and opportunities throughout my writing journey! I can see such a clear path - now - in what He was doing and how He was leading me. I couldn't always see it then, but that in itself helps me keep plodding along on the path into future writing projects! Thanks for commenting! I really appreciate your words!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you Ms. Julie and Ms. Michelle. Our writing journey as "Light Writers" takes us up and down some pretty challenging rows some days, but I wouldn't trade a single step in this journey as God is teaching me so much as I travel the path He's set me upon. I'll be looking to pre-order some for Christmas gifts soon. God's blessings; and congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting, J.D. I wouldn't trade the steps He's taken me on, either. Some challenging, some difficult, some easy, some confusing, some daunting - but all enlightening and adventurous with lots of joy and fun mixed in as well. I especially like the people God introduces me to along the writing path!!! Thanks for sharing, and so great to meet you at the Enrich conference!!

      Delete
  4. Thanks Julie to remind us of the winding roads with benefits, though sometimes we feel motion sickness! Congratulations to you and Michelle! Look forward to reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great analogy there, Marilyn - this roller coaster ride called "the writing journey" can sometimes cause motion sickness!! haha! But what a fun and exhilarating ride, right? Great to see you again, but wish I could've stayed longer to visit more!! Blessings!

      Delete
  5. I had the pleasure of meeting Michelle at Blue Ridge Christian Writers Conference. She is everything you shared. What an honor to be included. Although, I can certainly understand why Michelle would ask. Congratulations, Julie! Can't wait to check out the devotional.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't Michelle a delight, Beckie? She's genuine and real, most certainly! And your words are very kind! Thanks for commenting!! Blessings!

      Delete
  6. Isn't it amazing how God has already picked a path for us that we know nothing about? His plan is always greater than our own. Congratulations on this awesome journey. That is outstanding!

    ReplyDelete
  7. And, Joshua, I love the idea that He has my path planned out, because that means it's gotta be a grand journey! Like you said, exceedingly and abundantly more than I ever could have dreamed! Thanks for the kind words!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so excited for you, Julie. And I agree, when God drops an opportunity like yours into your hands, it is a sweet gift and an affirmation for all the hard work, study, and prayers that went before it. Blessings on you and on this lovely book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lori, for your sweet words! I'm just now seeing your post here, but I'm realizing it echoes some of the words from your writer's prayer that I read and enjoyed sharing earlier this morning! Such sweet blessings from the Lord, for sure, and wonderful affirmation!

      Delete
  9. Julie - I love the way that God works to get His words of encouragement through you to others. He is a good God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He IS a good God, Joanna - always!! Even during those times when I don't understand the path He's leading me on, with my writing journey or other circumstances. But His ways are higher than mine, and I'm so thankful for that!! Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  10. Love this Julie! Looking forward to adding your Christmas devotional to my reading this year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you so much, Susan! It was so much fun to partner with Michelle - I was honored to work with such an amazingly talented writer!!

      Delete
  11. Isn't it beautiful? God always seems to work through relationship. I know the wisdom you both have to share will bless many during a season when we too often lose sight of the babe in the manger.

    Peace and grace,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete