Sunday, July 21, 2019



CONSIDER THE TIGER BEETLE
by Julie Lavender



A small flash of metallic green catches my eye as I head out for my walk with God. Closer inspection reveals a tiger beetle darting amongst the blades of grass in search of food.

Named for the ravenous eating habits of both the larva and adult, tiger beetles eat spiders and an assorted menu of insects. And, boy, can they move!





Extensive studies have determined that the tiger beetle is the fastest running insect! 

Tiger beetles come in a variety of colors, as there are more than one hundred species of tiger beetles, but I particularly like the iridescent green ones because they’re so easy to spot. Except the usually look like a blur when traveling at high rates of speed!



I love connecting God’s creations to His word, either to find a lesson that I think He wants to teach me, or to remind me of a Bible story or character. The sprinting insect reminded me of an Old Testament personality, thought I couldn’t think of his name until I returned home and researched.



Asahel, brother of Joab.  





It’s one of the lesser-known stories tucked away in God’s word. A few verses, relatively speaking, that don’t seem to make the top-ten sermon topics nor a popular, children’s Sunday School lesson. I mean, after all, it’s a pretty violent story with a spear jabbed through the stomach that exits through the back and three-hundred sixty plus another nineteen men losing their lives.


Asahel’s story is also one of those puzzling stories of the Bible to me.  What am I supposed to learn from the story; how do I apply it to my life? What’s God’s message for me in 2 Samuel 2?










I’ve read several commentaries about Asahel, in an attempt to understand the story more, and I’ve picked up on various thoughts of very learned scholars.









Some scholars seem to think that Asahel, who was “as fleet-footed as a wild gazelle,” according to verse eighteen of the recounted story, acted unwisely by pursing Abner relentless and not heeding Abner’s warning to turn away and “take on one of the young men and strip him of his weapons.”

Scholars in that camp believe an egotistical Asahel thought his swiftness and sprinting abilities would be an even match for an older, more experienced warrior, and that he lost his life needlessly in pursuit of Abner.



However, other scholars, point out that Asahel, in his shortened life, excelled in such a way that he was listed as one of David’s Mighty Men, as seen in 1 Chronicles 11:26, and that others, most notably Asahel’s older brother Joab, did not make the list even with an extended life. 






I read with interest in those commentaries a reminder that it’s not necessarily our length of service while walking – or running, in Asahel’s case – this earth, but the quality of our service to God.








I’m not sure which camp of scholars I most identify with – I probably fall somewhere in-between and internalize lessons from several commentaries I read. Nevertheless, I always find God’s word fascinating, even when I don’t completely understand the message.








I’m just glad a fleet, six-footed insect prompted me to read, research, and ponder a story in God’s word about a “fleet-footed gazelle” that I only vaguely remembered. God’s word is amazing!




What about you? Read about Asahel in 2 Samuel 2 and share with me what you learned from the fleet-footed gazelle, will you? I’d love to hear your thoughts.


10 comments:

  1. we certainly can learn many wonderful lessons from God's natural world can't we Ms. Julie. I love how you can take an innocuous little insect and craft it into a wonderful insight into God's word ma'am. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your words are always so kind, J.D.!! God's lessons are never ending, just as the beauty of His creations is never-ending, either! Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful post! I enjoyed learning about the tiger beetle and Asahel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love learning about some of God's "tiny" creations, and I also love learning about some of those "tiny" stories in the Bible that have such a big message .... now, if I could just figure out THAT message with the Asahel guy .... HA - I think God just wants me to have a hunger for his word and keep studying it!!

      Delete
  4. Well, I don't know which camp I would be in, either, but you brought out interesting points about that story. I have never looked at it that way before and comparing Asahel to the tiger beetle gave a mind catching word picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still waffling on just exactly which camp and what lesson God wants me to apply from this story, too, Barbara. I think partly He's just prompting me to have a hunger for his word, even if I don't get all the answers when I read, and that just encourages me even more to keep studying it!! Thanks for joining in the conversation!

      Delete
  5. Thank you for sharing your insight about a story the piques my curiosity every time I read the segment about Asahel. Perhaps it's also a lesson for us to respect the advice of those who are older and wiser. I always enjoy how you share the lessons of nature in connection with God's word.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine, I, too, considered that one, and in fact, one of the commentaries spoke highly in favor of that answer. Abner did insist several times, trying to steer Asahel in another direction! Thank you for commenting, Katherine! I always enjoy your thoughts!

      Delete
  6. I love this lesson! Thanks for sharing your insight with us. So interesting, Julie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Beckie! So glad you joined our conversation! Thanks so very much for reading and responding!!

      Delete