Friday, November 2, 2018


Special post from Guideposts.org, Part 1

Many of you know that I was blessed to be chosen as one of eleven winners of the Guideposts Writing Contest in 2014. That blessing took me to Rye, New York for a week-long class to learn how to write for Guideposts Publications. We had lengthy, intense sessions with many of the New York Guideposts editors, and we became part of the Guideposts family during that precious week. It was truly a blessing and dream-come-true to learn how to write inspirational stories for a magazine that I've enjoyed for years.

I enjoyed sharing some of my nature pictures recently at https://www.guideposts.org. I'd like to share a couple of those shots and thoughts below, and I'll share more on another day. I would be honored if you check out the entire slideshow here

Please enjoy a couple of God's masterpieces below and thanks in advance for visiting the Guideposts website to see the others in my collection. 



Life Lessons Learned from Nature (Part 1)
by Julie Lavender





Robberfly
Robberflies are fast-flying, beard-faced, six-legged predators that feed on other insects. Robberflies often successfully attack prey much larger than themselves. They pounce on insects resting or in flight, buzzing and tumbling to the ground with their prey. And their reward? A delicious meal of insect insides.
The robberfly reminds me that I am capable of facing giants and giant situations that are bigger than I am. I may tumble a time or two, but with persistence, I can succeed.







 Spanish Moss

Spanish moss grows on trees, but is not harmful to the tree. The plant is a misnomer – it’s neither Spanish nor in the moss family. Also erroneous is the commonly-held belief that chiggers live and thrive in tree-suspended Spanish moss. More accurately, chiggers may inhabit the plant after it falls to the ground.
Spanish moss that often adorns trees in the southeastern United States remind me that I don’t have to live up to erroneous names or untruths about me. I can flourish and fulfill my purpose with excellence despite what others may say!


Anhinga
The feathers of an anhinga differ from fellow water birds like ducks or geese. They also lack the oils of other water fowl. Without oil and uniquely shaped, the anhinga’s feathers can become waterlogged, allowing the bird to dive deep and stay submerged to search for dinner.
When not fishing, the anhinga perches in the sunshine, drying its outstretched wings in preparation for flight.
The anhinga teaches me that I’m created perfectly to handle my tasks and life’s purpose. I may be different from my contemporaries, but that just confirms that we’re all unique in some way!

Thank you, God, for your stunning creations! You are the awesome creator-God. Your masterpieces amaze me continuously, and I delight in learning the lessons you teach me with your handiwork. 

Psalm 104:24 (KJV) 
"O, Lord, how manifold are thy works! In wisdom hast thou made them all; the earth is full of they riches." 

No comments:

Post a Comment