Tuesday, October 30, 2018





 
CONSIDER THE BOX TURTLE
by Julie Lavender



A pair of slow-moving reptiles ambled across my path this week. 







Two box turtles, a male and a female, graced me with their presence (not that I could tell the difference – my biologist husband clarified that for me). 











Their hard, domed shells reminded me of military helmets or first-responder hardhats. 











Just a bit more beautiful than a drab military helmet, however.










Box turtles have the ability to pull their appendages – four legs, head, and tail – completely inside their shells and a hinge-like adaptation lets them close up completely, protecting them from predators.









It’s a really cool and unique measure of protection that God gifted the box turtle with.











I watched the turtles retreat to the protection of their shells when I came too close. 










And when I sat still long enough for them to no longer feel threatened, each one emerged, slowly. 










First, by peeking through a slit in-between the top and bottom parts of their shells (the carapace and plastron, respectively), then poking out their necks. 





































Four legs appeared next and the turtle took off at break-neck speed, relatively speaking.











I couldn’t help but think about the story of Esther in the Bible. (Read her story here.) Particularly, her bravery. Esther could have retreated to her shell – the safety of her beauty and queenship – to protect her from the dangers surrounding her.





Yet she didn’t. Esther stuck her neck out, risked her life, to accomplish her mission.










The turtle, tucked inside its shell, is safe from danger, a gift from God. 












But without the initial peeking, sticking out its neck, and putting one foot in front of the other, the turtle can’t move forward.








Esther’s bravery astounds me, no matter how many times I read the story. 




I think there’s a great deal I can learn from a couple of beautiful box turtles and a beautiful young queen.




















How about you? Are you as brave as Esther? 







I’ll admit – I don’t consider myself brave, especially in new situations. I’m more like the turtle who hides and just peeks out. However, I’m working on that courage. 






I just sometimes feel like I’m moving at a turtle’s pace!  











No comments:

Post a Comment