Sunday, September 30, 2018


CONSIDER THE GREEN SNAKE
by Julie Lavender




Slender-bodied, green, and draped from a tree limb.

This week’s walk led me right past a green snake.

Now, ask anyone in my family, and you’ll find out that I’m terrified …. TERRIFIED …. of snakes.





I don’t really know why – I’ve not had an unusually bad experience with a particular snake. But if I encounter one surprisingly, I typically let out an uncontrollable and blood-curdling scream, and I usually simultaneously break out in a very unbecoming dance.

Oddly, my husband and I often encounter copperheads on our evening walks. Copperheads are venomous, and I am especially opposed to encountering the venomous ones!



A pretty snake?

Yet, as fearful as I am of snakes, that wonderful and handsome biologist that I am married to has helped me learn to appreciate the beauty of even the snake! (I’ll admit – it took years for me to say that a snake was pretty.

Fortunately, my husband was with me when we met up with the tree-climbing, green snake. He warned me gently, and I was able to gaze and snap pictures without screaming or exhibiting ungraceful and unladylike movements.

Admittedly, the green snake was gorgeous! He effortlessly slithered amongst the limbs, searching for spiders or caterpillars or other insects.

He stopped climbing to make eye contact with us once, and then slithered higher in the tree.

I couldn’t help but think about Eve’s serpent encounter.


A cunning snake!!

It’s easy for me to steer clear of large and dangerous-looking or venomous snakes – easy because I’m usually dancing or bolting the other direction – but, I really felt no threat or fear of the green snake. And I really appreciated his beauty.

Eve felt no threat, either. She was easily persuaded by the ‘cunning’ serpent to partake of sin. I’d like to say I would’ve been stronger and resisted temptation. But then again, I’m afraid I might not have been either.




Dear God, please help me be wary of worldly beauty and cunning behavior. Keep my eyes focused on You and You alone, O God.  






What about you? Are you afraid of snakes? Comment below your feelings on those slithering creations. 

No comments:

Post a Comment