Thursday, May 31, 2018




CONSIDER THE APHID
by Julie Lavender



I took a different path on my morning walk today that led me past the ditch in our back yard. A couple of ladybugs, or as my biologist husband would correctly identify them, ladybird beetles, caught my eye and I looked closer at the weeds growing near the water’s edge.


Aphids. Lots of them.”











It’s that time of year when hundreds of tiny, soft-bodied, sap-sucking insects invade and terrorize the plant life in our back yard. 










They can be a farmer’s nightmare, too, sucking plant nutrients and juices, and in large enough numbers, aphids can damage the plant to complete destruction. 








LADYBUG, LADYBUG.....


Fortunately, God designed other insects to prey on aphids, especially ladybugs, and I always enjoy checking out the ladybird beetle population when the aphids appear.

I sat down in the grass to watch the ladybugs, attempting to count the spots on some of the ones I saw. Adult ladybugs, as well as ladybug larvae, feed on the aphids.




FARMER ANTS....


I noticed ants, too. Ants actually ‘farm’ or sortof protect the aphids because they feed on the honeydew – the sugary waste of the aphid. In other words – aphid poo! Yuck! 










HONEYDEW...
    APHID POO! 
                    YUCK! 

Must be somewhat yummy, because I saw a green bottle fly and a small butterfly sipping on some honeydew drippings on a leaf, too.







GREEN BOTTLE FLY            SLURPS NECTAR








BUTTERFLY SIPPING       NECTAR, TOO






I spotted other insects and even a spider munching on or seeking out aphid appetizers. Insects like an assassin bug and a long legged fly and a wasp.


 



ASSASSIN BUG...
      JUST A TAD CREEPY.....
          YET AMAZING, TOO!

“This is amazing,” I thought as I watched the show in front of me. In just a small patch of my backyard, I watched a wealth of God’s wonders creep and fly and sip and snack.







SPIDERS LIKE                   APHIDS, TOO....



LONG LEGGED FLY LOOKING FOR AN APHID APPETIZER....





GOLDEN LEGGED WASP, MUNCHING ON APHIDS







Oh, God, may I never tire of your magnificent works! Your world is a stunning display of your creativity and greatness. Thank you for your masterpieces, God. From the tiny to the mighty  – I thank you.







What about you? Tell me about some of God's countless works that you observed this week? I'd love to hear about them!

8 comments:

  1. Wow—I probably would have just killed all the aphids, but look at all the bugs they fed! I hope all those bugs did narrow your aphid population, though, for the sake of your plants!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (Wow - got busy helping my 'baby' daughter - the sophomore in college get ready and head out to be a summer camp staffer at a Baptist kids camp and totally forgot to check my comments on my blog!) Well - these particular aphids were mostly on weeds that grow up near the ditch in our back yard, so my husband doesn't actually care of the cause the demise of the plants - ha ha - but I do so love all the other bugs and critters that feast on them. They are such alien-looking critters to me! But, they are very fascinating!

      Delete
  2. Goodness, I've been a farm girl all my life, but you just taught me an amazing lesson on aphids (I know them only as pests that eat our garden and flowers). I knew ladybugs help us by eating harmful bugs, but I certainly didn't know all that about aphid poop! Yuck, indeed! Thanks for the lesson. I continue to be amazed by how quickly our garden is growing. Yesterday's tiny squash is going to be tomorrow's supper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had squash for dinner last night, too!!! In fact, we've had so much squash from my brother's garden recently that we've had it a number of ways! But so yummy! And, as I told Heather above, these particular aphids were feasting on weeds at our ditch, so we actually cheer them on!! ha ha! (Also, as I told Heather, I got busy helping my 'baby' daughter - the sophomore in college get ready and head out to be a summer camp staffer at a Baptist kids camp and totally forgot to check my comments on my blog!) Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  3. Thank you for your keen observation of God's creation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It helps to have an entomologist/biologist for a husband, Diane! I didn't 'appreciate' God's insects when I was younger, and though I'm still not fond of many of them, I do actually appreciate them now and just love God's amazing creativity when it comes to all of His creations!! Thanks for responding - sorry to be so delayed - I posted and then scampered town to get my daughter to the airport for her camp staff position, and then I guess I missed her so much that I totally forgot to respond! Blessings!

      Delete
  4. I find myself looking forward to your blog. I love the beautiful pictures of nature and how it teaches us about our creative, powerful, and wonderful God.
    I couldn't help but think how people, like the insects in your post, have different functions and gifts.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What sweet words, Beckie!!! You've made my evening!! And, wow - what a great thought - yes indeed! People have different functions and gifts and God loves us all the same! (If you glanced above, this will be a repeat, but I'm sorry for responding so late. My 'baby' daughter - the sophomore in college - left to be a summer camp staffer at a Baptist kids camp right after I posted and I guess with missing that sweet girl, I just totally forgot to check my comments on my blog!) Blessings to you - I hope your summer is going well!

      Delete