Saturday, August 17, 2019

GUEST BLOGGER




Please welcome my guest blogger, Adria Wilkins. I first met Adria at the Blue Ridge Mountains Christian Writers Conference, and her JOY was evident with the first introduction. Her smile is never-ending, and her kindness extends to everyone around her. It's no wonder her newest book is entitled, The Joy Box Journal.




After suffering the unthinkable - the death of her son, three-year-old Blake, Adria found that Jesus sustains, and evens surprises His followers with joy. She shares that "joy" with readers in her book that just released in late July. 

Read her post below about a tender moment with her married kids' dog, then check out her bio and more information about her delightful book. 






Tender Moment
by Adria Wilkins

Living on the fourth floor of an apartment complex with a dog is an adventure in and of itself. In fact, I personally discovered how much of an adventure it was when my daughter and son in law asked me to watch their 85-pound, black Labrador Retriever, Heidi at their apartment while they were out of town on their honeymoon.


Every day at our scheduled time, I would gather the collar and leash and place it securely around the dog’s neck. After walking down a long hallway, riding an elevator to the parking garage, and crossing the street, we arrived at the dog run. I had no idea that my hand would quickly be smashed into the black metal fence as she rushed to get into the play area. It happened so quickly and the pain and swelling began near my knuckle and thumb. I stood in shock thinking my hand was broken.
The dog had no idea she had injured me. She didn’t do it on purpose. She was just excited to be outside. After a few minutes of letting the dog play I began to settle down and knew I was going to be okay. A little ice, rest, and ibuprofen helped, too.

Several days later, I was sitting on their living room couch with the windows open enjoying the afternoon sun and quietness, and the dog was sitting next to me. She is usually very playful and energetic, but this time she was very still. My eyes focused on a picture hanging on the wall. It was of my daughter and son in law standing in front of a quaint, French restaurant and bakery in California where they were engaged. 

I took some time to reminisce about her life and tried to reflect on each year of her life from birth, toddler, tween and beyond. I became more emotional with each passing year while tears flooded my eyes and streamed down my cheek. I noticed the dog had not moved a muscle. She lay partly on my right leg with her heading down with her eyes closed. I was curious as to why she was so still. I tried to raise her head and said, “Heidi are you sleeping?” She kept her eyes closed and remained motionless. She must have picked up on my crying and I felt as if she was consoling me.

I spent about an hour reflecting and praying for my daughter and son in law and their life ahead. The tender moment of warmth I felt in the room brought peace to my heart and mind. It made me smile and confirmed why I had taken care of her and how she had in turn taken care of me.

Ideas for praying for our adult children:


* Pray that God will continue to guide them to make good choices as an adult. The freedom as a young adult can come with many temptations.
* Pray for protection and health as they go about their daily work and play.
* Pray they will want to continue to grow in their faith journey through Bible study and church attendance.

What about you? How do you pray for your children - adult or younger ones?

Watch Adria's interview about her new release, The Joy Box Journal, on the Midday show of WBKO last week in Bowling Green, Kentucky here.

Bio:
Adria Wilkins has an accounting degree from Western Kentucky University. She and her husband, Erik, live in Northern Virginia and have three children Katie, Blake, and Anthony. She enjoys telling a story, adding sprinkles of joy and a few extra dollops to liven it up.

Adria has written devotions for Refresh Magazine and writes a column called “Caregivers Corner-Caring for Children” in the quarterly magazine, Broken but Priceless.

Adria has been a contributing author in the following books:
Just Breathe, Worthy Publishing
Breaking the Chains, Lighthouse Bible Studies
Legacy - Heartprints that Linger, Northern Virginia Christian Writers Fellowship
Heart Renovation: A Construction Guide to Godly Character, Lighthouse Bible Studies.
Short and Sweet's Family Album, Compiled and edited by Susan Cheeves King
Feed Your Soul, Lighthouse Bible Studies

She has been published in the Arise Daily Devotions and multiple guest blog posts, and she speaks at women’s events, retreats, group breakout sessions, and MOPS or moms groups. Adria is also a member of Advanced Writers and Speakers Association, Word Weavers, and Capital Christian Writers.


To have Adria on your show please contact her at any of the following:
Phone: 214-364-4403
Website: Joyboxstories.com
Email: adriawilkins@joyboxstories.com


8 comments:

  1. Oh how I have come to love and appreciate "The Joy Lady" Ms. Julie. Whenever I hear her name, I instantly smile, picturing the infectious joy she fills us with through her life, laughter, and smiling eyes. Something we must do I think is continue praying for our adult children and those who come after us. With each passing year, the world around us attempts to encroach more and more into our lives. My prayer for the younger generations is they find the right relationship with God to help them through this journey called life. The best way I can think of to do this is to be an example for them. God's blessings ladies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it's totally cliche, but isn't she a JOY to know? She can't help but share a contagious smile with anyone she comes in contact with, whether that's in person or from a video online! The joy of Jesus shines through for sure! And, I agree - a continued example even after our kids become adults is perhaps the best way to keep them on a journey with God!

      Delete
  2. There have been many times when my animals consoled me when I was feeling sad. I think God gifted them with the ability to comfort us and what a blessing that is! I have adult children and I'm grateful for your prayer suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine, that is so true - I believe a special gift of our pets is that of consoling when we need them most - and they expect nothing in return! What a gift from God!! When the kids were younger, I never realized I'd have so many hopes and dreams (and worries) for them when they became adult "children," so I'm glad to have these suggestions, too!

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for the post. I love the idea of The Joy Box Journal! Thanks for sharing the story of the comfort God brought through one of his creations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her Joy Box Journal is such a wonderful devotional that helps others look for joy in every day! Adria's joy is contagious, and I know God is going to bless many with her book!

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful and sweet moment you've captured in this post. Thank you for sharing a piece of your life with us. I don't have any children, but I know what it feels like to have a dog surrender his own will to share in my grief, and the prayer suggestions are great for anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for joining the conversation, Joshua, and you're right about animals being sensitive to our feelings and emotions! They really get us humans, don't they?

    ReplyDelete