Saturday, August 31, 2019



GUEST BLOGGER


Please join me in welcoming my guest blogger today, Debbie Wilson. I met Debbie online first, because we had mutual writing friends, but then figured out we both graduated from the same college, Georgia Southern University! I enjoy her writing, and I know that you will also. I'd planned to share this post on my site at some point, and, with Hurricane Dorian on the prowl, this weekend seemed like the appropriate time! Delight in and be challenged by her writing, then check out more of her words on her own blog, Refreshing Faith.





How a Storm’s Anger Revealed God’s Angels

On a Wednesday evening my daughter Ginny opened a letter saying her insurance agency had suspended her comprehensive and collateral car coverage. Her records showed continued withdrawal payments to her insurance agency. She figured the notice was a mistake.

Thursday, she called and learned they had indeed canceled her insurance. They said they’d sent two emails (that must have gone to spam) asking for a signature our state required. We worked together to email the signature that afternoon. They received it but said it could take seven business days to reinstate her coverage.
Rain poured all afternoon. In the early evening the wind suddenly gained force. Crepe myrtle branches swirled outside my kitchen window as if agitated in a giant washing machine.
I sprinted to the front porch to check on the larger trees near our house and the circle drive where our kids park their cars. We’d moved their cars to protect them from Hurricane Florence flying debris. But Hurricane Michael was supposed to bring water, not wind.
My stomach flipped when I spied a giant gumball tree leaning towards my daughter’s “uninsured” car. “Ginny,” I yelled to my daughter. “Move your car!”
Ginny joined me on the porch just in time to hear a loud crack and, in what seemed like slow-motion, to helplessly watch the tree fall. “My car!” Ginny screamed.


How could this happen just hours after learning her car was no longer covered by insurance?
After the tree settled, I shouted over Ginny’s wails, “The trunk missed! Those are small branches you see. The trunk missed your car!”
It took a few moments to process the miracle. I regretted not noticing the wind a few minutes sooner until I realized that too was God’s protection. Ginny would have tried to exit the driveway and moved straight into the path of the falling tree. Instead of a near miss, Ginny and her car would have taken a direct hit.
Not only did the trunk miss her car by inches, the largest branch headed in the opposite direction from it. The impact broke the pavement.
Ginny and I feel we witnessed a miracle. How many times a day does God protect us and we do not recognize it?
Many Kinds of Storms, One Refuge
Our experience reminded me we never know when a storm will assault our health, finances, or relationships. There may be many kinds of storms, but only one refuge.
Those who live in the shelter of the Most High will find rest in the shadow of the Almighty. This I declare about the Lord: He alone is my refuge, my place of safety; he is my God, and I trust him” 
(Ps.91: 1-2 NLT).


BIO:
Drawing from her walk with Christ, and years as a Christian counselor, coach, and Bible teacher, Debbie W. Wilson helps people give themselves a break and live in God’s grace so they can enjoy fruitful and satisfying lives. She is the author of Little Women, Big God and Give Yourself a Break. Her latest book, Little Faith, Big God, is to be released February 2020She and her husband Larry founded and run Lighthouse Ministries, a nonprofit counseling, coaching, and Bible study ministry. She is an AWSA (Advanced Writers and Speakers Association) certified speaking and writing coach. Debbie enjoys a good mystery, dark chocolate, and the antics of her two standard poodles. Refresh your faith with free resources at debbieWwilson.com.
  

20 comments:

  1. Amen Ms. Debbie. How many of us ever stop to offer thanks to God for all the things that DIDN'T happen to us each day. Few, I should think, ever consider life from that perspective. Many years ago, I learned a most valuable lesson similar. In my case, it was little "cracks" that I noticed while under attack during combat. I asked a more senior member of our team about those bothersome bugs during the firefight and the funny sounds they were making. He smiled and said "Son, those weren't bugs, they were bullets! What you were hearing was the sound of them breaking the sound barrier as they were passing by. The next time you hear them, fight harder, because you know that one just missed." I learned then to thank God each day for the ones that missed. :-) God's blessings ladies. Prayers for everyone in Dorian's path.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, J.D.! That must have been a terrifying experience! I try very hard to remember to pray for those men and women serving in the military on a daily basis! I can't even begin to fathom ..... Thanks for joining the conversation!

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful moment, Debbie. I'm so thankful that God is in charge (not us) because His ways are better. We are blessed to have the assurance of His protection during all the storms of life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm holding on to that thought during this hurricane, Katherine - the assurance of His protection in all of our storms! Thanks for joining the conversation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! What in incredible reminder of God's protection and providence. This was a great guest post. Thank you for sharing this story. My stomach was a little in knots as I read it, but I think that's a good thing. God needs to shake us up sometimes to get our attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Joshua! Sometimes I feel like God must shake his head at the lack of my attentiveness! I call myself trying hard to be attentive, but it sometimes does take something to shake me up to do so! Thanks for joining the conversation!

      Delete
  5. Great reminder that God sees the little things in addition to the big issues facing the world. He doesn't forget us in the mundane, but walks with us faithfully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer, I am always grateful that God is concerned with the little details in my life, which then solidifies even more that He is interested in every part of my life!!

      Delete
  6. What a great testimony of God's protection. Psalm 91 is my go to scripture protection that I have used many times. God has delivered my family and I more times than I can count and I know He protects us even when we are unaware. Thanks for sharing this story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reminding me, Barbara, that there must be tons and tons of times he protects me that I am completely unaware!!! And I am so grateful for those times that I can easily see His hand in protection and guidance!

      Delete
  7. Thanks so much for sharing! God really knows how to protect us, and even uses things we think are bad to turn out for our good. We would never know Him as our Protector if we never needed protection. God is so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What an accurate statement - we would never know Him as our Protector if we never needed protection, Joanna. God is good, all the time, and I love that I can lean into Him when I want to hide under the shadow of His wings!

      Delete
  8. I was running late for work, angry at a red light that seemed to take forever. When the light finally changed I hit the gas and nothing. The car would not go. I stomped on that pedal twice when a car ran the red light and right in front of my path. Had my gas pedal worked I would have been t-boned. God is good! You are right - how many times does He protect us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone mentioned earlier about perhaps finding out in heaven how many times God protected us and we were completely unaware! There are so many times I am truly aware - and goodness, your story above is a vivid picture of His protection - but I'm certain there are times that He's protected me and I've never even realized it! I praise Him for hiding me in the cleft of the rock, always!

      Delete
  9. Julie and Debbie, the hair on my arms stood up straight as I read this post. I could just picture one of the Lord's mighty angels moving that tree just enough to miss the car.
    I too, wonder how often we miss the many ways our Father protects us.
    Thanks for sharing. God is so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like visualizing that, Beckie - one of His angels pushing the tree enough to cause it to miss the car! Thank you, God, for your protection - the things I notice and the things I don't!

      Delete
  10. This is beautiful and a strong reminder of a Biblical truth I needed to hear today. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I'm watching the hurricane updates on television, it's a reminder that I need, too, Candi!

      Delete
  11. Wow, a daunting yet beautiful reminder of God's protection and how we need to trust Him in the storms that assail us. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deborah, I know that I can worry and fret with life's "storms," even while knowing that God is there to guide and protect me, so I've often wondered how those that don't have that hope can get through the difficulties of this fallen world! I'm thankful that I know I can trust him with my storms!

      Delete