Monday, June 29, 2020

Unexpected Blessings From Quarantine Time
By Julie Lavender

(Note: My story below is part of a longer article on the Guideposts.org site. I think you'll enjoy the rest of the "unexpected blessings" contributions, and you'll find the entire article here.)

The Full Empty-Nester
Julie Lavender from Statesboro, Georgia
When our son Jeb moved out last summer, he was the last of our four children to go, and my husband David and I were left with a sad and empty nest. Jeb even took our beloved grand-dog Caramel! For most of our lives, we’d been used to having a lively, loving household, and I felt pretty down about it.





 Then Covid-19 happened and my nest started filling up again. Jeb decided to stay with us while he worked remotely, and he brought back Caramel. Our daughter Jessica’s college campus was shuttered, and while she continued her coursework online, she came home too and brought her Pomeranian Coda. They moved right back into their old bedrooms.




Now, I’m cooking for four again, but loving every minute of the extra responsibility. Besides, having my kids back home is a blast—Jessica and I stay up until the wee hours blaring shows on Netflix and Jeb plays disc golf with his dad. Although we’re all praying for the pandemic to be over as soon as possible, my nest is full again and for that unexpected blessing I am grateful.  

Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; his love endures forever. Psalm 107:1 NIV



Do you have unexpected blessings from the pandemic? 

2 comments:

  1. My "unexpected blessing" has been spending more time with my wife and very best friend. Although I've still be busy doing consulting from home, caring for the ranch, and taking on added responsibilities as my wife is more susceptible to viral infections, etc., the reward has been so much greater than the effort. In addition to seeing how she spend her days working on greeting cards for those (mothers and children) in area women's shelters, the greatest blessing is having wonderful discussions about faith, etc. over dinner and during our time together. To see firsthand how much she has grown as a Christian is something I thank God for each day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. J.D., that is a wonderful "unexpected blessing" indeed! These are precious tmes and memory-making moments that you'll treasure for a lifetime. I love that you've been able to have those conversations and that this time has allowed you to see growth blossom right before your very eyes!! And what a wonderful treat that your wife makes greeting cards for a local women's shelter! That is just the sweetest act of kindness, and I'm sure they are so very appreciated! Please tell her thank you for that awesome gesture and inspiration of being the hands and feet of Jesus!

    ReplyDelete