Wednesday, May 20, 2020


Guest Post



My sweet writing friend, Melissa Henderson, loves being involved with community and church. Her first children's tail .... see what I did there .... released in 2018 and is called Licky the Lizard. She hopes to write more children's books in the near future. Please enjoy her post below, and connect with her from the info in her bio. 







What a beautiful day! The sun is shining. The sky is blue. Temperature is in the 70's. A very nice South Carolina day!

T




The hummingbird feeder is filled with sugar-water. Alan and I have purchased hanging pots filled with bright red impatiens, red geraniums and one contain of purple and pink petunias. Perfect flowers and feeder to attract hummingbirds.
Each morning, I open the blinds and look outside at the feeder. When the hummingbirds approach, I squeal with excitement. No matter how many times I see the little birds, I still am giddy with joy. Their fast-moving wings make a whirring sound. The little bodies are more powerful than their size would indicate. I first learned to love hummingbirds and almost all birds years ago. My parents enjoyed bird watching and they shared that hobby with me.
Throughout the day, I find myself going back and forth to the window to look for the hummers. Morning and evening are the times of day when I notice the ruby throated hummingbird visiting the flowers and the feeder. What a life! Flying from flower to flower and feeder to feeder to drink sweet nectar.
I am so happy we have placed the feeder where we can enjoy watching the hummers.
YIKES!!!! What's that on the feeder? A lizard!!!! How can that be? Lizards are not supposed to drink that juice. Sure hope they don't scare away the precious little birds.
Worrying about the lizards taking over, I wondered what could be done to prevent the lizards from enjoying something that wasn't meant for them.
No problem. The solution has been revealed. The lizards have learned to share. Hummingbirds and lizards both drink out of the feeder, just at different times.
Quite a sight to watch the lizards climb and jump from the gutter to the pole and then, to the feeder. The hummers visit flowers and then, head for the feeder. Then, the lizard leaves. They have learned to share with each other.
This whole situation makes me think about how we share with each other. Are we willing to share? Are we hoarding things that might be needed by other people? Is there an item you can share with a local food bank, nursing home, homeless shelter or other place?
Even the lizards are learning to share.
Have a blessed day and check your hummingbird feeders. You might find a new visitor.
 Bio:




Melissa Henderson is a writer of inspirational messages. Her first book for children, Licky the Lizard, was released in 2018. She also has a story in the compilations Heaven Sightings and Remembering Christmas. 


She contributes articles and devotions to various magazines and websites. Her passions are helping in community and church. Melissa is an Elder, Deacon and Stephen Minister. She and her husband, Alan, moved from Virginia to South Carolina to be near son, daughter-in-love and first grandchild. The family motto is “It’s Always A Story With The Hendersons."


Follow Melissa on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and here.

15 comments:

  1. I'm waiting for us to finish a project so I can put up my hummingbird feeder. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our family loves watching the hummingbirds. We had a storm yesterday and heavy rain last night so I haven't seen any hummingbirds this morning. But, I will keep looking. We do have turkeys and ducks and geese and a hawk out back. :-)

      Delete
    2. Nancy, we've spotted a few hummingbirds thus far, but we don't think we are seeing as many as we usually do by now. I hope more arrive soon!

      Delete
  2. I love when I can start the day with a smile. Both you and Mrs. Melissa Henderson have a habit of doing that. I think it Ms. Melissa's case, when God was creating her, she spent an extra long time in the "Smile Department" because her smile shares the joy of Christ inside. What wonderful lessons we can learn from nature. If even lizards and hummingbirds can learn to share, then maybe there's hope for our dysfunctional political system yet. :-) God's blessings ladies; and thank you for this morning's smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. J.D. you are so kind! Thank you for your encouragement and support. I always enjoy reading your blog posts. Yes, I am smiling right now. :-)

      Delete
    2. Doesn't she have a beautiful smile, J.D.? And, she shared a video at my request of a way to show love to a child that involves reading a story to them, using different voices and expressive emotions. I can just imagine that kids LOVED hearing her read stories!

      Delete
  3. What a cute post and I bet watching that lizard was fun. I have never seen a lizard eat out of a hummingbird feeder so that's a new one for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Watching the lizards enjoy the hummingbird feeder has become an everyday activity. My husband and I still laugh every time we look outside and see the lizards on the feeder. :-)

      Delete
    2. Barbara, we've never seen a lizard enjoy a hummingbird feeder, either. Wasps, unfortunately, but not a lizard.

      Delete
  4. I bet the lizard is more inclined to share than your hummies. They're cute, but so territorial. Love that picture, Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the lizards share but the hummingbirds don't seem to like sharing. haha! :-)

      Delete
    2. Jill, you're so right! Those hummingbirds are so territorial, aren't they? They buzz around and scare away all the others! Pushy little rascals, but fun to watch during that territorial dance, too!

      Delete
  5. You got a bonus at your hummingbird feeder, Melissa. Thank you for sharing your “pets” and a lesson about sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are watching the hummingbird feeder every day. What a joy! :-)

      Delete
    2. Jeannie, I'm not always a lizard fan. I'm not really afraid of them, but they can just scamper so fast that they kinda scare me occasionally! But, I do so enjoy watching God's creations!

      Delete