Saturday, April 4, 2020


Consider the Fringe Tree
By Julie Lavender





My walks look different these days, but God’s beauty still abounds. My husband and I passed a white fringe tree on our walk this morning. The fleecy white, barely fragrant flowers hang from the branches and flutter to and fro when the winds stir.







The fringe tree has a couple of nicknames here in the south: old man’s beard or granddaddy graybeard. 









Apparently, many old-timers thought the delicate, fluffy flowers resembled a grandfather’s beard. The small trees proclaim springtime when bushy white beards cling to branches.











I’m reminded that beards in the Bible made proclamations, too. Jewish men trimmed their beards and applied fragrant oils in accordance to Old Testament instructions. 






The corners of the beards remained uncut, signifying Jewish heritage. Unclipped corners was an outward sign of obedience to God’s law.









I wonder if my outward appearance and my actions demonstrate obedience to God? 









I certainly hope so, especially, for such a time as this. I hope my actions during the challenges we’re facing will reflect Christ in every way and proclaim God’s glory.



My walks may be slightly different these days, but God’s character is unchanging. He is good, and He always will be. And I’m hanging onto that promise ….  

What about you? How is your family doing during the quarantine? Please share your concerns and thoughts and prayer requests. Or, offer a prayer for our world. 


4 comments:

  1. Julie, we have a fringe tree behind our townhouse. I never knew that was the name of the tree. I will have to go take a photo now. :-) Have a blessed weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa, we don't have one on our property, but one down the dirt lane where I sometimes walk. They are so very pretty right now!! I love them! Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  2. Another wonderful post Ms. Julie. What a wonderful question to ask ourselves; especially these days when stress and fear seem to be overtaking the world. "Do I reflect God's light and love in my life every day?" I was saddened to see so many people in the store acting fearful and afraid. When I smiled at them, they grew suspicious. Many refused to make eye contact. I asked God to show me how I can show that He's still here; that He's "got this." Am still praying for that answer. I think it's that I have to keep trying my best to be who He made me to be, and not let the things of this world control my emotions and my actions. God's blessings my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. J.D., if your winsome personality and smile can't encourage someone in a store, then it's true indeed that many are fearful and afraid! I'm sad that so many are frightened. I often share with my husband that some trials and challenges are tough for me, even knowing God is in control and he's "got this," so it's hard and sad for me to think of those who are facing today's struggles with no hope of Jesus Christ! Thank you so much for always thinking of your fellow man (and woman) and their concerns of the day at hand. Continue to be the best you God has made, and I know you're going to be that blessing that so many people in this world need right now! Blessings to you and your sweet Diane!

    ReplyDelete