Saturday, February 29, 2020


CONSIDER THE BLISTER BEETLE
by Julie Lavender



On my walk with God this week, I was captivated by some of the brave flowers that had burst forth, despite the fact that more cold weather was on the way. Taking a closer look at the early blooms, I also spotted a couple of blister beetles making their way about the foliage.

I quickly steered clear and kept walking. 



My entomologist husband taught me a long time ago to keep my distance from these irritants. 


Once he explained what the tiny insect is capable of, I had no difficulty complying.





A blister beetle’s body contains cantharidin, a chemical capable of blistering the skin. 

Occasionally, a blister beetle becomes an unwanted hitchhiker on the neck or skin of a human. 





Then when disturbed, the blister beetle secretes the bodily fluid that causes irritation, swelling, and blister-like sores on the skin.   


I’m reminded of a story in Exodus, when Pharaoh’s disobedience resulted in many plagues, one of which caused the Egyptians and all of their animals to suffer dreadful boil-like sores.

“Then the Lord said to Moses and Aaron, ‘Take handfuls of soot from a furnace and have Moses toss it into the air in the presence of Pharaoh. 

It will become fine dust over the whole land of Egypt, and festering boils will break out on people and animals throughout the land.’ 

So they took soot from a furnace and stood before Pharaoh. 

Moses tossed it into the air, and festering boils broke out on people and animals. 

The magicians could not stand before Moses because of the boils that were on them and all the Egyptians. (Exodus 9:8-11 NIV)



I couldn’t help but ponder if my disobedience, when I know God has asked me to do something, can serve as an irritation to others. It’s one thing to bring condemnation upon me, but when my sinful actions harm others, then I’m causing a plague of sorts, too.





God, I don’t have any trouble obeying my insect-hubby, when he tells me the consequences I’ll suffer if I am careless with blister beetles. Help me never be careless with your instructions. Help me be obedient, Lord, to protect my own heart from blisters, and keep me obedient so that I’ll never be a source of wounds for others.
  


What about you? Have you learned a lesson from one of God's creations this week? 

18 comments:

  1. The change in temperatures lately has brought many summer time creatures out early. Here in the Lowcountry of SC, we've had days of warmth, followed by nights of freezing temperatures. The alligators have come out to sun, the lizards are enjoying the warmth on the back porch and the bluebirds and robins are looking for nesting places. I love watching nature and enjoying God's creations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa, we've had such fluctuations in our temps here that I sometimes wonder how some of these creatures know if they are coming or going! One of the things I like about my walks during the winter months here in south Georgia is that I don't have to worry about snakes, typically. (I'm terrified of them, but my husband loves them!) But, the other day, we'd had so many warm days that we actually encountered a small one on our walk! I'm like you, too, Melissa, in that I absolutely love watching nature and enjoying God's creations! Thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't been around much nature this week Ms. Julie, so no lessons for that arena this week for me. Still, God provided lessons. Even in a busy conference room in Burlington, NC. :-) Great lesson shared ma'am. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love when God reveals Himself to me in any setting, whether that's nature or in my Sunday School class or at a conference or while completing a newspaper article .... I feel certain that God reveals WAY more lessons to me than my feeble brain catches onto! I feel like sometimes I can almost here Jesus say, "Do it again, Father - she missed that one.... one more time, and I think she'll catch it ..." Thanks for sharing and I hope you enjoyed your conference!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Julie, I admit I camped on your phrase "Unwanted hitchhiker". I think we can carry unwanted hitchhikers with us-regret, resentment, worry, and others. Like the risk of picking up a hitchhiker we don't know, these unwanted ones are not safe. As for a nature lesson, I am surprised some of our trees in SC are blooming and many yards have daffodils. Love the application of God's order and predictability of His design of seasos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marilyn, WOW - I absolutely love what you pointed out about "unwanted hitchhikers" ... such a GREAT lesson and message that had not even crossed my mind! That's why I love these comments - they teach me so much!! You are so right - I need to check for unwanted hitchhikers often!!! And, yes, I'm surprised by some of our spring-signs already, too! Pleasantly surprised, because they are absolutely beautiful and are every year, following the bleak winter days! Thanks for commenting, my friend!!

      Delete
  6. Julie, I love your nature themed posts. I'm always fascinated by creation and the interesting defense mechanisms God puts into His creatures. I'm grateful that He gives us His Whole Armor. We are well armed to stand up against evil forces that come against us.
    I know this doesn't answer the question you asked but this is where my thoughts went.
    Thanks for informing me about the blister beetle. I'll try to steer clear of those little dudes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment, Connie! I absolutely love the connection you made to our defenses. I praise God often for that Whole Armor!!! He thought of everything when he created us and when he prepared for our salvation by the gift of his son!! I'm saddened that I forget and don't take advantage of some of those pieces of armor, like I should, at times, but I am so grateful I have that armor!!!

      Delete
  7. This certainly is convicting! A great reminder that we do not sin in a vacuum. I love when God provides us with ordinary moments in our day to remind us of His truth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, Emily - we don't sin in a vacuum, and whether I recognize it at that moment or never recognize it, my sinful actions affect others in some manner. Thanks for your comments - I also love when he teaches us valuable lessons through ordinary moments! Blessings!

      Delete
  8. As I was reading, my thoughts ran along the same line as yours. How often do I leave blisters or "burn" someone with a thoughtless comment or terse response? Nature teaches us these great lessons if we just watch and listen. Thank you, Julie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And, Katherine, I can't imagine you ever giving someone a terse response with your gentle, sweet nature, but I know exactly what you mean. Sometimes, I find that I can let my guard down and make a thoughtless comment to a "total stranger," because, in my mind, I think I'll never see them again or rarely pass them another time in the grocery store. And I am callous with my words. Yet, when someone does the same in reverse to me, it bothers me all day long! I should remember that my short-tempered answer could have blistered that person's heart that day in a similar way! I pray that my words and actions will never burn another! Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  9. Julie, I love the way you focus on God’s creation and the wonderful lessons you garner from them. Thank you for wise reminders of the way our disobedience affects others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jeannie! It's a lesson I need and one I have to remind myself of often! Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  10. Your nature lessons are so inspiring and correlate to the biblical principles you are focusing on. I'll never look at these bugs the same way again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your sweet comment, Barbara! I just absolutely love learning about God's character and the biblical principles he teaches me through his creations! You are so sweet to read and enjoy and learn along with me, and then share those kind words with me! Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  11. I didn't know that about blister beetles! I will watch out for those little buggers.
    This reminded me also of the saying "Hurt people, hurt people." Our unforgiveness can also be a source of irritation to those around us when we hold on to bitterness and unforgiveness. Thank you, Julie! Great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Stephanie, you are so right! I've often heard the saying, "Hurt people hurt people," and that is a great analogy with this "little bugger." A great reminder not to hold on to bitterness and unforgiveness! Thanks for commenting!

      Delete