Monday, July 15, 2019


CONSIDER THE SPITTLEBUG
by Julie Lavender




My walk with God began early enough today that the dew still clung to the grass. That’s not always the case, which made me take notice of the splotches of spit that also clung to many blades of grass in my front yard.

Spittlebugs.





My husband dislikes their presence, because in large numbers, they can damage the lawn.

Two-lined spittlebugs, to be exact, for our area of the state. Both the nymphal stage and adult stage of the spittlebug feed on plant juices, sucking sap from the succulent grasses, causing discoloration or wilting and weakening of the plant.






But what I find interesting about this insect is the very way it derives its name.


The nymphs product a white, frothy liquid that surrounds them. Completely encased in bubbles of spit, the spittlebug is protected from spiders and other predators. The moist home is needed for proper development of the nymph, too.




When the nymph has snacked and dined on enough juices, it moves to the tips of the grass, surrounds itself in protective spit, and settles in for God’s miraculous metamorphosis. 







The once cream-colored body, brown head, red-eyed, no-winged nymph changes, in only ways God could make possible, to a brownish-black adult with two distinct reddish-orange lines across the wings.



An amazing transformation! Just like most of God’s insect masterpieces!

God’s unique protection of this tiny little guy brings to mind an incredible story of protection in the Bible, found in the second chapter of Joshua.





Leader of the Israelites at this point, Joshua sent two spies to look over the land, specifically, Jericho. The two men entered the house of Rahab the prostitute, and she took it upon herself to hide the men when messengers from Jericho’s king came seeking them.






Much of Jericho had heard of the Israelites and the God of miracles that they served and were fearful for their lives. Rahab said, “For the Lord your God is God in heaven above and on the earth below.”





To hide the spies from ultimate doom, Rahab covered the men with stalks of flax. In those days, flax was often left on the roof for days at a time to absorb the falling dew. That decaying process of repeated moisture absorption helped the strips peel easily away from the stem. Those strips were then dried and bleached in the sun and later used to make linen for clothing.

Encased in flax stalks, the men were protected from the King’s henchmen.


I couldn’t help but make the connection of two strange and unusual provisions in God’s kingdom. I was reminded that if God can use a prostitute to protect two of his chosen people and a bunch of bubbles to protect one of His masterpieces, then surely He uses clever and creative ways to protect me, too.


I guess I’m just glad that, so far, I haven’t needed a smattering of bubbly, frothy spit splattered on me, but I’ll take whatever devices He deems necessary!
  


12 comments:

  1. Julie, I enjoy learning about God's creatures in your posts and how you link them to bibical facts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Debbie! I love love love the lessons God teaches me through his amazing masterpieces! I never tire of God's creations! Thank you for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm... Spittlebugs. Will trade you my Army worms this fall. :-) Isn't it amazing all that God can teach us through all His creations? I often wonder why He created creatures like the spittlebug, but that's something else I'm not supposed to understand. Always learn from your posts ma'am. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh - the name "Army worms" doesn't sound pleasant.... I'm taking it they invade like an Army? Haha - Yes, I often wonder about God's reasoning on some of those creations but, like you, I know His ways are higher and I'll have no idea about some of them on this side of heaven! Thanks for responding - I certainly enjoy the lessons I learn from His creations!

      Delete
  4. It never ceases to amaze me the lessons we learn from nature. I like your comparison of the protective measures--the spittle and the flax. It just goes to show that our God always finds a way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God always finds a way, exactly! Sometimes what I consider "logical" and sometimes in such unique, creative ways, right? He is an amazing God!!

      Delete
  5. How did you learn about these amazing little creatures, Julie? Your comparison helped me understand the story of the spies much better. I never understood how the could have hid quite so well. Peace and grace, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tammy, my husband is a biologist by undergrad and added entomology as a Masters. He served as an entomologist for the Navy and is now a wildlife biologist. He has ALWAYS loved the outdoors and God's creations - honestly, I didn't appreciate most of God's creations before David came into my life, but because of him, I've just become so fascinated by them and actually intrigued (but still frightened) by so many of them, that I enjoy learning and writing about them!!! And, I had to do some research about the "flax" because all I could think of was flax seed, so I couldn't figure out how that hid them either - nor why they were on the roof!!! God's were is amazing, isn't it? Thanks for joining the conversation!!

      Delete
  6. Amazing facts that point again to an amazing Creator. Thanks Julie! I need to share this with one of my grandsons who loves any kind of insect or bug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how His creations point to him, Sylvia! And, my husband loved all of God's critters from a very young age, so you may have a budding biologist on your hands.

      Delete
  7. I enjoyed learning this scientific information and the beautiful analogy to God’s protection. Your photos are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my sweet friend. That bubbly spit is kinda disgusting, but makes for some interesting pictures!

      Delete