Monday, January 21, 2019



Special post from Guideposts.org, Part 4

Many of you know that I was blessed to be chosen as one of eleven winners of the Guideposts Writing Contest in 2014. That blessing took me to Rye, New York for a week-long class to learn how to write for Guideposts Publications. We had lengthy, intense sessions with many of the New York Guideposts editors, and we became part of the Guideposts family during that precious week. It was truly a blessing and dream-come-true to learn how to write inspirational stories for a magazine that I've enjoyed for years.

I enjoyed sharing some of my nature pictures recently at https://www.guideposts.org. I'd like to share a couple of those shots and thoughts below, and I'll share more on another day. I would be honored if you check out the entire slideshow here

Please enjoy a couple of God's masterpieces below and thanks in advance for visiting the Guideposts website to see the others in my collection. 



Life Lessons Learned from Nature (Part 4)
by Julie Lavender




Golden Orb Weaver
The golden orb weaver crafts a web with shimmering yellow silk that glistens in the sun, attracting insects, large and small. The snare that ends the life of many an insect is constructed with beautiful gold threads.
The lesson I glean from the golden orb weaver is that not everything that glitters is good for me. Sometimes, the pretty things in life can be a trap to ensnare me.


Narrowmouth Toad

To avoid predators, the narrowmouth toad burrows in the ground, seeks cover, roams at night, can flatten its body to squeeze into tight places or secretes an offensive mucus.
The narrowmouth toad’s long list of defenses teaches me that I should find every way possible to avoid negativity, to make every available effort to avoid it and to be prepared to counteract it.


Thistle

A troublesome weed, the thistle often causes great intestinal damage to grazing cattle. The spiny and prickly stems and flower heads irritates the skin of humans that encounter them, too. Many insects thrive on the nectar of the thistle plant, however, and goldfinches love thistle seeds.
Prickly thistle weeds remind me that all of us, despite faults or failings, have the potential for good!  

Thank you, God, for your stunning creations! You are the awesome creator-God. Your masterpieces amaze me continuously, and I delight in learning the lessons you teach me with your handiwork. 
Psalm 104:24 (KJV) 
"O, Lord, how manifold are thy works! In wisdom hast thou made them all; the earth is full of they riches." 

No comments:

Post a Comment