Monday, July 23, 2018



CONSIDER THE KATYDID
by Julie Lavender


 

Have you ever seen a walking leaf?



Well, obviously a leaf can’t really walk.











I encountered a katydid on my walk with God this morning, and I first thought a green leaf was sauntering across the grass.  Related to the grasshopper and cricket, the katydid has long, thin hind legs and is a master of camouflage when surrounded by foliage.




Rising to the top ....

Wings that resemble leaves serve more as a camouflage mechanism than a flying purpose. And the katydid nymph often displays even shorter, tinier wings. Typically katydids use those long legs for walking and scaling trees.




I like to spot katydids, because, more often, they’re found way up high in a tree, munching on the choicest, juiciest leaves at the top.

The leaves must be tastier there. The view is probably better, too.

Which reminds me of the story of Zacchaeus in the Bible, where the tax collector – a short one, presumably – climbed to the top of a tree to get a better glimpse of Jesus.


to get a better view...

Must’ve been slightly challenging, donned in a long, flowing robe cinched at the waist with a rope, a tunic undergarment, and leather sandals on his feet, all while attempting to desperately hang on to a purse that was most likely weighed down with dishonesty and deception.


Zacchaeus probably thought he was camouflaged, up there in that tree. His curiosity led him to peek at Jesus, but he never dreamed he’d be spotted by Jesus, let alone have a dinner invitation extended to him by God’s one and only Son.



Dear God, please let me see Jesus today.


I wonder if I’m willing to move past the challenges to see Jesus each day. To clamor for the best view, no matter what’s hindering me that day or in that moment.



 
Help me cast off sin and unwanted baggage. 

To not allow baggage to weigh me down and keep me from seeing Him. Especially if I’ve accumulated that baggage through sinful practices that I need to turn from or cast off.




And catch a glorious glimpse of You. 

Whenever I see a katydid – or any of God’s amazing creations – I know I’ve seen the One who sent the camouflaged, winged creature. And when I do whatever it takes to see Jesus, I know I’ve seen the One who sent Him, too.






What about you? 

What helps you see Jesus?





For me, it’s starting my morning with a prayer-walk, swinging on my front porch and meditating on God’s goodness, reading God’s words in my Bible, listening to Christian radio stations, serving those in need alongside my brothers and sisters in the faith, or spending time with my husband and adult children.

Comment below on your ‘Jesus-sightings.’ I’d love to hear what helps you get a better glimpse of Jesus!   

8 comments:

  1. Julie, this is a beautiful post and I love your photos. I love to see God in nature. One of my favorites is to look at the sky--- any sky is beautiful, whether filled with dark clouds, is solid blue, or filled with brilliant colors. AND, like God, it's always there.
    Thanks for writing about how katydids remind you of Zacchaeus. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Connie, I love God's sky, too. Just today, while driving to visit my son in north Georgia, the clouds were just unusually spectacular, with a layer of white puffy ones like cotton balls, a smooth and flat layer of clouds behind that, and then some dark ones promising rain scattered in another layer. It was so beautiful! God is indeed the Master Artist, right? Thank you for commenting!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful post, Julie! When I was a child, Mom would point out spider webs as we walked. She told me God was the Master Weaver and that He taught us to weave fabric for clothes and blankets. When I see one now, I'm reminded that God is the Master Weaver of our lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wonderful that your Mom used God's creations to teach you about Him! A sweet memory and valuable lesson! Though I tend to cringe when I see a spider and view them from a safe distance (and my husband loves them!!), I think their webs are just spectacular works of art, and I'll also admit that most spiders are very beautiful! Thanks for sharing your memory!

      Delete
  3. I see Jesus in God's creation, too. Today we had a beautiful, clear blue sky after several days of clouds and rain. As I was feeding the horses this morning and scanned that lovely sky as a back drop to giant oak trees reaching up toward the sun, I thought "Wow!, What a lovely day!" I took a moment to than God for the blessing of the day. I should do that EVERY day. Thanks for a lovely post, Julie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katherine, sometimes I personally get too busy to step back, take a moment, and look around at the beautiful canvas God paints for us every single day! I try not, and on most days I'm successful, but not always! Thank you for your comment, and I hope you're continuing to heal! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I see God in thunderstorms--all that power feels dangerous and scary, but the One behind it (in control/sovereign) is the same gentle One who loves and protects me. I'm always reminded of the last few chapters of Job, about how magnificent God is and how insignificant we are!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, Carole, I'm so glad you shared that. I don't care for bad weather (who does, really, except those brave storm chasers and meteorologists, I guess), but I've never stopped to "see" God in a thunderstorm! Thank you for reminding me to see God's power with every clap of thunder and lightning strike. I love this.

    ReplyDelete