Friday, June 29, 2018



GUEST BLOGGER

My guest today is a new writing friend, Michelle Adserias, who lives in and writes about God's beautiful world in rural Wisconsin. Our hearts and blogs are similar in that we love learning lessons from God's wonderful creations. I've admired her delightful posts on her website, www.godponderings.com, ever since I 'met' her through the Facebook group, Blue Ridge Bible Study Writers. 

Enjoy her words below, and then jump over to godponderings.com and read some of her previous posts, too. You'll be so glad you did!    


Work’s Blessings
by Johanna Daniel


Tonight I sneak into the barn and check on the bat regiment living in the hay mow. About 50-60 of them hang in upside-down clusters from the now defunct hayfork rail. Such strange little creatures… flying rodents with furry bodies and leathery wings. All day long they hang there, in deep, deathlike sleep.  But very soon their  high-pitched squeaks will fill the air. One by one they’ll pop through a little hole at the peak, where barn wall almost meets barn roof.  Each soldier will begin its nightly Battle of the Bugs, honing in on tiny sound targets like a missile, in hopes of curbing its hunger.


As twilight sets in, we watch the bats dive for the crackling sparks that fly up from the fire. They quickly realize they’ve been deceived and fly out of harm’s way. Strange as they are, we welcome the fearless flyers. They help keep the mosquito and fly population in check. They add character to the night sky. And as long as they stay out of the house we get along just fine.

Sometimes I marvel at God’s creative plan. He gave every creature a useful job. Bats, for instance, make great exterminators. So do aardvarks, though I’m not sure I’d want a colony of them living in my barn. Dung beetles do pasture clean-up by breaking up piles of poo and rolling them away. Turkey vultures, ugly buzzards that they are, make short order of road-kill. And God assigned honey bees to collect nectar, pollinating our crops in the process, and regurgitate it back up as honey. Don’t think too hard on that one!)

When all God’s furry, fuzzy and feathered friends fulfill their God-given duties, everything in the environment runs smoothly. And each little animal is passionately happy about its task.

God gives people a passion for certain tasks, too. They are happiest when they are doing what their nature wants to do. I’m happiest when I’m writing, or baking, or teaching. But I’m so thankful for the people who get their kicks out of being a surgeon, or a mortician, or a plumber. They do what I never could… and they would be sorely missed if their jobs went undone!

Cheerfully doing an honest day’s work has taken a hard hit in our culture. It’s counter-cultural not only to work, but to actually enjoy working. I catch myself adopting the cultural mindset. My current job is wife, mom and homemaker. I find great joy in some aspects of it. I find myself grumbling about others. I like: laundry, dishwashing, cooking, embroidery, sweeping, gardening, and preserving foods. I don’t like: scrubbing floors, dusting, well… housecleaning in general. 

I know my attitude is wrong. The Bible tells me so! I’m called to work to God’s glory and am promised I will find contentment there. “When you shall eat of the fruit of your hands, you will be happy and it will be well with you.” (Psalm 128:2) I guess I need a change of heart so I can say with Solomon (who was a pretty smart guy), “So I saw that there was nothing better for a person than to enjoy their work, because that is their lot.  For who can bring them to see what will happen after them? (Ecclesiastes 3:22, NIV)

(Photo credits: Photo Copyright: www.godponderings.com)



Michelle Adserias resides in rural Wisconsin with her husband, Peter. All four of their children have now flown the coop and are pursuing their passions, leaving Michelle more time to pursue hers. She loves escaping to a quiet outdoor place with her pen, notebook, Bible and camera and waiting for God to reveal Himself through the world He created. She publishes her thoughts under the pen name Johanna Daniel. You can read more at her weekly blog, www.godponderings.com.

1 comment: