Monday, April 23, 2018





GUEST BLOGGER

My guest today is Heather Bock, a friend I only know from this www world .... wonderful web writer! We met online through a writing community, and I have admired her blog posts ever since. She writes about finding glimpses of Jesus every day and her words can be found at www.glimpsesofjesus.com. Because my posts are glimpses of God from his amazing masterpieces, I especially liked her piece about an orchid plant. I hope you'll visit her site - you won't be disappointed! She's as beautiful on the inside as she is on the outside! 






God’s Time Is Beautifully Perfect

by Heather Bock


Last December, my orchid plant started sending out a flower shoot. It had been a particularly warm December, and my poor plant was confused. It figured, sitting day after day in the warm sunlight of my balmy sunroom, that spring had arrived. As it hadn’t been a year since it had bloomed the spring before, I was certainly surprised, watching it and wondering if it were going to be a twice-a-year blooming orchid now.






The weather changed, as I’m learning it always does in East Texas. After all, the motto in these parts is if you don’t like the weather here, just wait a week. We pulled our winter coats back out and lit a few more fires. The growth of the orchid shoot that took a month and a half in the past stretched to almost four months. The suspense was killing me.






Finally, one bud was fully formed with the rest on the way. Then, on Easter morning, the day we celebrate Jesus coming to life, I woke to find that the first bud had come fully to life, popping open and spreading wide by the end of the day.












Another person would look at that and shrug, thinking, Yeah, that’s sort of an interesting coincidence, but so what? It meant a lot to me, though. You see, my God knows me intimately, and He is fully aware, not only how much I love orchids (particularly my own orchid when it blooms after months of weekly, careful watering), but by how thrilled I am by symbols. After all, I wrote a Bible study all about finding symbols of Jesus in Genesis.






That orchid was a gift to me–a vivid reminder of the life Jesus brings–a future life after the grave and new life springing open after a time of slow growth here on Earth. That orchid could be a symbol of my own life right now–something new flowering out of plain green–for He has been making new grow in me lately.

I could stop right here. Isn’t that enough, that the God that created the glorious, almost unfathomable universe with stars so much bigger than our own sun (so big itself that the earth we live in is the head of a pin next to it) that if the sun were a basketball, the biggest star we’ve found so far would be 3 miles in diameter, that God, cares enough about someone as small as me as to make sure a favorite flower blooms on just the right day?? Isn’t it enough that He confirmed in me that He’s creating new beauty in my heart?

No, He had more to say.


That orchid bloom started its long journey upwards in the middle of winter. It didn’t seem like it was ever going to reach fruition, as it took ever so long to form even the first faint start of a bud. However, it couldn’t have popped open on just the right day in Spring, on Easter itself, if it hadn’t started that long before.

What is God preparing in you? What is growing up millimeter by half millimeter? What are you waiting to watch bloom? The patience it takes to watch can feel excruciating at times. I’ve been there. I’ve waited to see God help me grow in areas I wanted fixed immediately. In fact, I’m in a waiting period right now in a few areas. Will that Bible study I mentioned ever be published? Will my family ever be at the point when adoption of another God-given child is finalized?



 



This orchid serves as a reminder that God’s timing is perfect. He knows exactly the right day and moment we need that for which we wait. We can believe that it will be worth the wait, for His timing is not only perfect, it’s beautiful.


“The LORD is good to those who wait for Him,
To the person who seeks Him.”







Heather is a new Texan, a homeschooling, running, party planning, and teaching mother of three with a degree focused on Biblical studies, literature, and French. She wrote a Bible study called Glimpses of Jesus in Genesis, and she writes posts every week on her blog, Glimpses of Jesus.

What about you? Has one of God's beautiful creations served as a reminder in your life recently? 

How have you caught a 'glimpse of Jesus' today? 

Heather and I would love to hear from you! 

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful post. I enjoyed the opportunity to read it again. Nature has so many opportunities for us to see the correlation between our journey of life and God's awesome Creation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie, I'm so glad to see Heather's writing featured on your blog. This post happens to be my "new" favorite by her :)
      Thanks for sharing!
      Blessings to you and Heather as you continue to shine your lights.

      Delete
    2. Katherine, as you know, I love God's messages to me through his creations, and Heather's words about her orchid were spot-on to me!!! Thank you for posting!

      Delete
    3. Beckie, I've enjoyed Heather's writing for some time now, but I especially fell in love with this orchid post! And, thank you for your kind words - May your light continue to shine for the Lord as well with your beautiful words! I've enjoyed keeping up with your successes recently - God's blessings to you - and may He continue to grant favor on your writing!

      Delete