Friday, March 30, 2018


CONSIDER THE VINE
by Julie Lavender






A walk outdoors this time of year pleases the senses unlike any other season. Blossoms in every color and hue decorate my surroundings like a used artist’s palette. And every shade of green carpets the ground and embellishes recently-bare trees.






SOUNDS OF SPRING


The melodious sounds of birds chirping to welcome the morning and the cacophony notes of spring peepers and other frogs ending the evening tickle the ears with springtime fever.









AROMA OF SPRING

The sweet aroma of new flowers and fresh greenery tends to overshadow the sniffles I’m suffering due to the yellow, powdery pollen that blankets the ground occasionally.










Spring has sprung, in all its beauty and fragrance. God is indeed glorified by his magnificent creations.










SIGHTS OF SPRING

Some of my favorite blossoms this time of year actually grow on vines. Vines that often climb and wrap themselves around other woody structures in the forests.







MY FAVORITES OF SPRING



Stunningly-purple Wisteria, 










sunshiney-yellow Carolina Jessamine, 












and Georgia’s state flower, the Cherokee rose with alabaster-white petals and a silky crown of yellow centering the flower.





These vines, like many, have a love-hate relationship with their support system. Though the vines twist and mingle in the branches and limbs of trees, causing splashes of beauty and color, they sometimes cause detriment to their hosts.






VINES CAN DAMAGE...

The vines, if thick and large, can cause structural damage to the tree and break limbs. The flowers and leafy foliage of the vines can shade out the much-needed sun from the tree. And, some vines wrap so tightly that a phenomena called ‘girdling’ takes place and can permanently injure the tree or kill it by strangulation.






I guess if I’m not careful, I can allow the beauty and trappings of the world to wrap around me so tightly that I’m injured, permanently scarred, or even strangled.








Perhaps not as drastic but yet more tragic, I can even let the enticements of the world surround me and shade out the much-needed Son in my life.









OR VINES CAN ADD BEAUTY....

Not all vines are damaging, though. Some aren’t heavy or thick enough to create damage, and sometimes arborists know just what to do to prune and trim back the larger vines to rid of choking and allow beauty to surround and cohabitate without harm.







I think…I hope….God is okay with me enjoying the beautiful gifts He’s given me on this earthly home, but I need to be diligent to prune or trim back or completely sever those things that stand in the way of my relationship 
with the Son.






THE MESSAGE OF 
               THE VINE

I plan to enjoy every beautiful petal and bud and blossom this spring, but I pray I’ll remember God’s message in the vines each time I admire His handiwork.


















What about you? Have you spotted some of the beautiful vines intertwined in the tops of trees this spring? Which one is your favorite? I’m partial to Wisteria, but then again, I’m attracted to anything in the lavender color-wheel.




     

6 comments:

  1. I love this quote of yours: “I guess if I’m not careful, I can allow the beauty and trappings of the world to wrap around me so tightly that I’m injured, permanently scarred, or even strangled.” This is true—sometimes I let the beauty of things become too important to me.

    And by the way, I LOVE wisteria, too. We didn’t have it in Tennessee, and we have it in Texas, and I’m so glad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's such a struggle not to let the beauty of things become too important, Heather - especially when not all of those beautiful things are bad things...you know? But we must be diligent, right? And I just love love love wisteria! Especially when walking around large clusters of it and the aroma is just heavenly!

      Delete
  2. I love spring too. When I lived in Michigan I love the fresh new green of the new leaves. The pretty new flowers to chase away the winter. Living in Florida I enjoy the different flowers in each season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never lived in a really cold place like Michigan, Jann, but we lived in Washington State for almost three years. And I just ADORE this time of year when the fresh new green leaves appear. I am always amazed every single year at the plethora of shades and hues of green! It seems like every single tree is just a slightly different green than the one next to it! I LOVE looking at all the greens in the spring!

      Delete
  3. Loved the beautiful pictures, Julie! Spring is my favorite time of year (except for allergies!) When reading about the relationship of the vine and the host (how they can survive together), I'm reminded of John 15:5 when Jesus says, "I am the vine; You are the branches.f you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing." Oh, what joy that our Savior is with us, part of us, so that together we bear fruit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE that verse, Katherine, and almost used it for my last picture. It's a favorite verse for sure! And it's funny, during the spring, I say, "oh, this is my favorite time of the year,"..... and then fall comes with all it's beauty, and I say, "oh, this is my favorite time of the year"....!!! But, probably, if I were pressed - I'd say spring was my favorite! Thanks for responding!

      Delete