Friday, January 19, 2018


CONSIDER THE PECAN TREE
by Julie Lavender



A walk with God this week led me past several bare pecan trees. I’ve always thought they were rather unattractive in the winter, without their lush, green leafy embellishments and dangling fruit accessories tucked inside husks to protect the edible nuts.




Winter chaos and disorder

The barren limbs always seem to have no order, just chaos and frenzy protruding in all directions. And only a few random trees still have pecans 
attached. But, my husband says if no squirrels have nibbled on the remaining nuts, they are undoubtedly not very tasty. 







Brittle and dry 


It is easier, however, to watch the squirrels travel over and across the empty limbs as if they’re speeding down the freeway, with their weight often bending and sometimes breaking the brittle wintry limbs. But that seemed like the only benefit of the bareness.


Reaching for the sun



Ugly. I used to think they were ugly in the winter. But, today, God’s canvas was a particularly brilliant shade of azure without a hint of clouds, and when I looked up into the sky, I thought the limbs looked less frantic and more like they were reaching up to the heavens, straining to reach the sun to warm their cold fingertips.




The trees didn’t seem embarrassed without their spring and fall accoutrements; in fact, they seemed to have a resolute pride, an “I got this – I’ll see you in the spring in my full splendor” attitude, proudly displaying their unadorned limbs.

What about me?


I don’t think I have that resolve when I’m barren of my garnishments. When I’m stripped bare of accomplishments or abandoned by children who’ve left the nest or rejected yet again by an editor or devoid of cash flow in my bank account or infinitely and inferiorly less-dressed than my peers or bereft of an educated answer among my constituents.

When met with a winter’s chill, I sometimes shrivel and shrink in fear, too afraid to face the unknown or move forward.


Reaching for the Son


Why can’t I be like the pecan tree? Reaching upward to the Son, with my harried and frenzied limbs and my often-nutty life? After all, spring is coming…eventually, and I’ll surely bud again and be decorated in beauty once more, because after all, I can be confident that He who began a good work in me will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.  


The promise of fruit


God’s promised me such. Lush green leaves and more fruit than I can imagine or guess or request in my wildest dreams! Yeah, life will be bitter and cold occasionally, and even chaotic and nutty at times. But as long as I keep reaching up and out to my Savior, spring is coming.





And on those days when life gives me nuts, well, then, perhaps I’ll just gather them all and make a pie. Because nothing is more beautiful to a good ole southerner than a fresh-baked pecan pie. That’s a good work,  for sure!






Chocolate Pecan Pie

Ingredients: 
1 stick margarine, melted, cooled
1 cup sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
3 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups chopped pecans
2 unbaked pie shells
1 cup miniature chocolate chips





Directions:
Combine the first four ingredients and beat well. 

Stir in the extract and pecans. 

Spread one-half cup of chocolate chips in the bottom on one pie shell; spread remaining one-half cup of chocolate chips in another pie shell. 

Divide the egg mixture between the two shells, pouring carefully over the layer of chocolate chips. 

Bake at 350 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes, until the middle of the pie is set. 





What about you? 

When life seems to be a little nutty or cold and barren, what helps you remember that God has promised to a good work in you that will carry you on to completion? 

How do you get past a dry or brittle season in life?

Share your thoughts - or your favorite recipe - and let's seize the winter and anticipate buds and blossoms and beauty in the days to come!

6 comments:

  1. I used to think the barren branches in winter were ugly, too, until I noticed the perspective of them stark against a blue sky—suddenly they seemed beautiful. I loved the message you found in them. I loved this quote of yours: “After all, spring is coming…eventually, and I’ll surely bud again and be decorated in beauty once more, because after all, I can be confident that He who began a good work in me will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.”

    Heather Bock

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for commenting! I know that many times in my life, that 'springtime' seemed farther away than others, but, consistently with God's timing...it did indeed arrive! And, yes, those chaotic lines of limbs against a beautiful blue sky is just stunning! Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, can life be nutty sometimes! But what a beautiful reminder that "spring is coming" and He makes all things new! I love the recipe. God takes our nuttiness and makes something sweet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life can definitely be nutty, but I guess otherwise might be dull? I am just so very glad that He gathers the nuts in my family tree and indeed makes something sweet! Thanks for commenting! (Our last slice of pie is calling my name from the fridge!)

      Delete
  4. Julie, What a lovely post! Your words are pictures, beautifully descriptive. That awesome blue sky on your photos made me yearn to be there. But, beyond your appealing narrative and awesome pictures, you get to some really serious questions. Spring is my favorite time of the year (except for allergies) and I love the rebirth of nature. You've reminded us that we also need to reach for Jesus and remember (and live) our rebirth in Him. Thanks for your inspiring post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your words are beautiful to me, Katherine! Thank you so much for those encouraging words! That beautiful blue sky followed days of below freezing temps (which is extremely rare and bitter for us in the deep south), so that in itself was a hint that spring was coming with the warmth of that day and the beautiful sky. My 'reach' slips often, but I try with each new day to reach again for Jesus, because that's the only way to get through each day!!

      Delete